My turkeys made a turkey!

Wayoutwest

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 17, 2009
We found a baby poult from our hens today-we really didn't think an egg would hatch so we're a little freaked out but I've raised gazillions of chicks from the feedstore and raised these hens and the tom. So we found him running around loose after he apparently hatched today-he was cold so we brought him in and put him under the heat lamp with starter and water, dipped his beak and he took some on his own. ?? anything else I should know? Give me anything from the feedstore and I'm all confident but this little guy/gal was hatched out back and he's special and I want to make sure I don't mess up!

We're excited! He was brooded and hatched in a 56 GMC truck cab which I think really helped with the temps since it's been cold here all spring. I hope he makes it-seems happy enough, though lonely, and strong....

you will have to show it its food and water constantly--they forget! Seriously..if you havea chick or a few put it in with the turkey poult so the chicks can be the ones to train the turkey where its food and water are...look for another poult running around-there's gotto be more than one?? How many was she sitting on???

We have two hens sitting side by side, the eggs that are hatching so far have been under just one I think. We have three poults this morning and I saw when I looked under the hen another is in the process so there should be three more counting that one under her.

We had a little miracle with these things last night-one chick had fallen out of the box and outside the pen and when my 13 year old son found him he thought he was dead and disregarded him. We have a small farm so dead isn't anything new and I didn't doubt him. When he saw we had a poult he came in, got us, and we all went out to check out the situation and my husband saw the dead one, picked it up and tossed it on the hay as dead. Three hours later my 11 year old daughter mentioned she thought she saw the leg twitch on the dead poult. I told her to go grab it just in case and we'll make sure (thinking for sure it was dead) and sure enough she came running back in with this poor little poult that had been laying flat for heaven knows how long but still had enough in him to twitch now and then! Under the heat lamp he went and over the course of an hour he went from mostly dead to totally normal behavior. Now you can't tell which one it was!

I found another under a hen this morning-lifted her wing and there was a little turkey foot all snuggled in. My son calls the hen the turkey dispenser.
smile.png

I've been dipping beaks in the food and water and have them started. I feel bad taking them away from the hens but they aren't safe out there from the cats or magpies.

Quote:
OOOH poor baby! I bet next time you'll check for yourself than take anyone's word! LOL I trust no one at my house-My Dh told me My favorite 3 tr old hen died and I was devestated all day at work. Couldnt wait to get home and bury her properly. When I pull up..there's my hen running to me for treats. I find the hen he was talking about and it was the skittish mean girl that died ( never did figure out why as she was was huge and healthy and laid the prettiest big brown eggs:( But I was relieved...

Good luck with all your babies~

x2 haha that's adorable... good thing your daughter noticed the little guy moving and you were able to give him a second chance! Post pic ASAP
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom