1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My turn, Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by donrae, Aug 25, 2015.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bird has been confusing me for weeks! At first I had it pegged as a cockerel, but now I'm not so sure.

Father is splash Ameraucana. Mother was a blue egg laying blue sex link. it's 10 weeks old.

Three cockerels from the hatch are very obvious. No saddle feathers yet, but large plump combs (two pea, one straight). This bird's comb almost looks like a modified rose comb, but I'm not sure where that came from. The other birds pictured here are pullets from the same hatch. Looking for opinions please!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If I had to guess, I would say cockerel based on its comb redness, stance, and masculine appearance (thick legs, stocky body, etc.). However, I'm not 100% sure.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Wow, this is a toughy. I'll have to agree with BantamLover21.

4. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

This is actually really difficult... But I think I'm gonna agree with your first guess, going off of that red comb and those big legs... But it's still hard to tell

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I would go with cockerel too... Comb, tail, stance, legs...Big ol feet! ;)

Beautiful coloring. I wonder what it will look like mature? The darker feathers on the hackles look like they could be pointier too...

Hmmm.

6. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    When in doubt I always go with cockerel :)

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So apparently I wasn't clear in the first post. What I wanted was for ya'all to chime in saying "of course that's a pullet, quit worrying about it" [​IMG]

I was a little surprised at the age when I went back and checked the calendar to post. I'd been thinking they were on the plus side of 3 months, but it's right at 10 weeks.

I moved the three obvious cockerels to the big pen a few days ago....I'm going to hold on to this one a little longer in the smaller pen, just to be positive. Denial is a powerful force!

1 person likes this.
  8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Oh ok lol... Let me rephrase... It looks like it could be a cockerel, but you've been staring at cockerels for 10 weeks, so you're probably just being paranoid.

Better? :D

Hey but if it DOES turn out to be a pullet, imagine how much MORE excited you'll be, since you were expecting a roo ha-ha ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Of course that's a pullet, quit worrying about it! (not) Sorry, it looks like a cockerel (but not positive). Please post some more pictures in a few weeks.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Now we're talking [​IMG].

I'll keep ya'all updated as it matures. I had 6 birds from that hatch--3 confirmed cockerels, 2 pullets and "Pat" here.
    Next hatch was Olive eggers---3 cockerels, 1 pullet.
    next hatch is sex linked blue eggers---5 cockerels, 1 pullet. Found the pullet dead at 3 weeks.
    Thankfully the very first hatch blessed me with 7 pullets and 3 cockerels, so we'll have some eggs this winter when the big girls take a break.

Chicken enchiladas, here we come!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by