My two new kids are finally home...

Trisha - the taller one is 15" at the top of her back.

Your babies are sooo cute! Do you have names for them yet?

Quote:
Thank you! They should fit on my crate then.

No. I have to know their personalities before I can name them. I've never met them, just had the breeder hold them with a deposit until it's time for them to come home.

Last edited:
WOW Chirpy! Very cool! I was hoping that you would post pictures of them when they arrived!
smile.png

I know very little about goats, so are Nigerian dwarf goats used for milk? If not, what would they be used for? Just curious............

Southern28chick wrote:

No. I have to know their personalities before I can name them. I've never met them, just had the breeder hold them with a deposit until it's time for them to come home.

Me too - I'm still not positive on the bigger one's name. I was fortunate though to be able to go see mine several times before bringing them home.

DouglasPeeps: Yes, Nigerian dwarfs can be milked. Obviously you get less milk than from a regular size goat. I'm not ready to milk at this point in life (too busy for that schedule) but want the option for our future. I didn't want to start out with full size goats but may do that in the future.​

Quote:
Nigerians are great milkers, they are dairy goats. I'm getting them because they are smaller than full size and are perfect for my small 3 acre farm.

Nigerians have full size bodies and shorter legs making them appear to be smaller goats. African Pygmies on the other hand are smaller bodied with short legs. Pygmies are not considered dairy goats by most but can be milked. Nigerians are considered a duel purpose goat since they are great dairy goats and can also be used for meat, think RIRs and Barred Rocks for example. Those chickens are great layers and good meat birds.

The best time to breed dairy goats is at 7-8 months of age, that way they are about a year old when they kid. Breeding too early can lead to problems and breeding too late can affect the amount of milk the doe produces in her lifetime.

Can you tell I've read an entire book on raising dairy goats. I read the whole book yesterday. I'll probably read it again 5-6 more times before my goats come home in 7 weeks.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Nigerians are great milkers, they are dairy goats. I'm getting them because they are smaller than full size and are perfect for my small 3 acre farm.

Nigerians have full size bodies and shorter legs making them appear to be smaller goats. African Pygmies on the other hand are smaller bodied with short legs. Pygmies are not considered dairy goats by most but can be milked. Nigerians are considered a duel purpose goat since they are great dairy goats and can also be used for meat, think RIRs and Barred Rocks for example. Those chickens are great layers and good meat birds.

The best time to breed dairy goats is at 7-8 months of age, that way they are about a year old when they kid. Breeding too early can lead to problems and breeding too late can affect the amount of milk the doe produces in her lifetime.

Can you tell I've read an entire book on raising dairy goats. I read the whole book yesterday. I'll probably read it again 5-6 more times before my goats come home in 7 weeks.
big_smile.png

Yes, I can tell. I think that is great. I do the same thing. Before we got our chickens, I read for months.

Thank you for this information. I keep telling myself, "I do not want goats, I do not want goats, I do not want goats". I am going to say this to myself a few more times.
roll.png

Quote:

big_smile.png

Yes, I can tell. I think that is great. I do the same thing. Before we got our chickens, I read for months.

Thank you for this information. I keep telling myself, "I do not want goats, I do not want goats, I do not want goats". I am going to say this to myself a few more times.
roll.png

This is what I do, I research. I too read about chickens for about 6 months before even ordering them. I had the house and chicken yard built by the time I ordered them too. I knew more about chickens than most people I knew who raised chickens for YEARS. I'm a nerd when it comes to animals.
tongue.png

Quote:

roll.png

This is what I do, I research. I too read about chickens for about 6 months before even ordering them. I had the house and chicken yard built by the time I ordered them too. I knew more about chickens than most people I knew who raised chickens for YEARS. I'm a nerd when it comes to animals.
tongue.png

HAHA! Me too! We rec'd our chicks in February, but my DH has the run built at the end of last summer. I am the kind of person who likes to be prepared and wants to know what I am getting into. It helps that I like to read too. I think it is a good thing. My DD is the same way. I am pretty sure she read the chicken book as many times as I did!

Quote:
I just gotta warn you....when we brought our first babies home, we just snuggled them up in the front of the truck with us (they were only 3 weeks old, though, itty bitty bottle babies!). It was a 2-ish hour ride home. We got about halfway home when the floodgates opened and our little doe peed all over me!
lol.png
As my husband was laughing (that is, making fun of me for getting peed on) our little wether peed all over him. Then, as if right on cue, they both pooped all over, too.
lau.gif
It's still funny, but--I might recommend putting them in a dog crate. They would both fit in a large crate at that age.

ETA: Chirpy, they are soooo cute!!! Congrats on the new goaties. Have fun with them, they're just the sweetest little critters!

Oh sorry. What I meant in my post was, how big are they so I know how big of a crate I need. I have a crate that's sized for a medium sized dog and I didn't know if that was big enough. The breeder said it should be but IDK. We have to drive 2.5 hours to get them and I would never dream of having them loose in the car. I'd be so nervous I'd wreck. LOL

I think my babies are from a set of triples. I'm getting the 2 black and white does on the bottom right of this page:
http://hometown.aol.com/buffalocreek2/NigerianSale.html

Chirpy, how tall are they? Well, how tall is the taller one?

lol.png
Well you are way smarter than we are, 'cause we just put 'em right in the cab with us!! What a mess....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom