My Urban Backyard Warm Weather Open Air Coop & Run *PIC HEAVY*

ERnoleGuy

Songster
Jul 17, 2009
Saint Petersburg, FL
So, I have my coop & run finished for the most part. I still need to put the final roof covering on (using Ondura) and I think I may also put up some screen over the hardware cloth to keep out mosquitoes.

The following is a bit long winded, but I figured I'd type up anything that I thought people might have questions about. But feel free to just scroll down to the pictures if you want
big_smile.png

A Bit About My Design
I live in St. Pete, FL where it is HOT all year round. We're lucky if it gets in the 40's for more than a day during the whole year. So I needed to design a coop that had a LOT of ventilation, but still was very secure from predators. As far as rain, I have a tarp on each side of the coop that I can fully drop down during heavy rains. Most of the time it stays like you see in the pictures though, and they just hop up on their roost and are rain free. However, mine really seem to like the rain. They play in it during the day.

My chickens are only in their coop at night and they range in their run from sun up to sun down. My coop is aprox. 6' x 6' and I have 9 chickens. At 4 sq ft a bird I am right on the mark.
smile.png
My run is 6' wide by 15' long. You can see how I put the coop up off the ground and I hang the feeder & waterer (plus some oyster shell, free choice) under it to keep it all out of the rain. It also serves as a nice, comfy & cushy place to chill out in the shade.

My run and coop base support are all made out of 1.5" thick walled PVC pipe, painted red. I use sand now in my run. It's only been in there for a week but I am LOVING it. I used to have hay, but it decomposes way too fast and just kinda stinks. Also, when I would put scratch down, it kinda fell through all the hay to the bottom, then just started to germinate. So now, the sand stays mostly muck free and they love to dust bathe in it. Especially after I sprinkle down some fresh DE. I use pine shavings and a tiny bit of hay in my coop. I find one of my laying girls likes to have both to fashion her nest. But mainly pine shavings, as the hay degrades too fast normally.

For water in the coop, I have a recycled sweet tea jug with a no-drip nipple waterer on it. It took my chickies a while to figure that one out. So I still keep their chick waterer in there just in case. The coop has a 1/8" aluminum panel for the pop hole door. And I also have a bigger hinged door that is accessible from within the run for cleaning out the coop. On the back there is a hinged egg door that also serves as a working table when open.

I hope you all like it. Give me your feedback!
smile.png

Oh, and I have a camera in the coop to that feeds to my TV so I can check on them during the night or just watch them for entertainment.

Chickens070.jpg

Chickens071.jpg

Chickens072.jpg

Chickens073.jpg

Chickens074.jpg

Chickens076.jpg

Chickens079.jpg

Chickens080.jpg

Chickens081.jpg

Chickens082.jpg

Chickens083.jpg

Chickens084.jpg

Chickens085.jpg

Chickens086.jpg

Chickens087.jpg

Chickens088.jpg

Chickens089.jpg

Chickens090.jpg

Chickens091.jpg

Chickens092.jpg

Chickens093.jpg

Nice! is that playground sand in the run?

*edit - duh, it is sand (I just didn't read). I think I may use sand in my run that I have yet to build.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, it's just sand. My father is a contractor so I stole, I mean, BORROWED, about 2/3 cu. yard of sand. It is what he normally mixes with concrete.

Under the coop is just plain old hay. It stays really nice a neat under there because it can't get rained on. At least, not all that much. So I decided to keep hay in just that part.

You did an amazing job! I especially like the red PVC, it's like a playground for chickens.

Yes, it is indeed a playground.
big_smile.png
My little cousins, however, also think it is a playground for them. They insist on asking me EVERY time, "Can we swing on it?" Um... NO!

Quote:
The great think about PVC is that it is very easy to assemble by yourself if you want. Whereas with wood, with a structure like that, it would take at least two sets of hands. And it will never rot, split, crack, get termites, etc like wood does. Also, per inch, it is lighter. Another plus IMO. Thanks for the nice comments.
big_smile.png

Ooh it's so delightfully red! Those shickens look a little spoiled to me with their little birdy seed bell and playground looking setup!

thumbsup.gif
As it should be. Awesome job!

Quote:
Indeed, all my pets are spoiled. And like you said... "as it should be."
big_smile.png
They've certainly put a dent in that bird seed bell thingy. It keeps them busy and gives them something to peck at. Originally I wanted to get a "flock block" (I hear PurinaMills, the same company that makes the Start & Grow I get, makes them) but my Feed Store didn't carry them. And these were only like $2 at WalMart. So far it has lasted over a week. It's also really funny when one of them starts it swinging, and another one get's blindsided by it. Is it wrong of me to find humor in that? HAHA.

Back
Top Bottom