My weird ducks!

mirandaleecon

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Panama City, FL
Ok so I have several questions and I just got lucky enough to catch these weird behaviors in one video. First, is it normal for a female to mount another female? I could swear they are both female, I have seen my male mount both of them!
Second, my khaki cambell does this weird head bob to the side, like she is looking down and to the right, over and over again. My pekin does it sometimes too but I don't know if she is just imitating the other...
And lastly, my pekin is super clumsy. I know they have a reputation for that but this seems extreme. She will just be floating in the pool and flip head first will her tail in the air until she can right herself. Is this normal? Well this video shows all three, I was actually just trying to get the clumsy swiming when the khaki hopped on the pekin. The first time I've seen that...

The head bobbing thing is excitement/ flirting.
My Pekin hens will do that when I show up with dinner and in the spring they will do it to flirt with my male.
From what I've seen, in the absence of a male, hens will indeed do mounting behavior.

Try loading your video to youtube first then posting link here using the video link above the reply box.

That looks normal to me. In fact everything you have described sounds like normal duck behavior. The head bobbing is usually a mating call and it is totally normal for females to mount females. The weird flapping does seem strange to me. Mind will do the same and they are just getting their heads and upper body wet without diving in.

Yea, when she does it, it's different than the other ducks. Almost like she is trying to regain her balance. Here is a better video of her doing the flip and the flappy thing... Duck flip:

Back
Top Bottom