My Wife is Finally Getting with the Program!

GranHabano

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Morristown, TN
My wife has been rolling her eyes at me ever since I told her my plans to raise chickens. But last night, I was doing my usual evening "research" on everything chicken and she IM'd me from the living room (how sad is that?) about an incubator. Notice the details...she was looking at chicken stuff on her own!!

Anyways, she is starting to get more and more excited about the whole thing and looks forward to implementing it into our homeschool curriculum for our almost 6 year old little girl, Sara. Plus, my mom told me she has good memories of eating fresh eggs as a child. I plan on giving her some.

Everyone else who looks at me funny....NO EGGS FOR YOU!!! Seems like everyone tries to discourage me because they smell SOOO BAD!! They try to tell me that they drive by chicken plants and it smells horrible. I try to reassure them that I know they don't smell like roses, but there's a big difference in a chicken plant and a small chicken set up like mine. I've just resigned myself to feeling sorry for them. I'll stop my ranting. Does everyone have this experience when first getting into it?

Once I get my coop built out on the farm and prepare a welcome temporary home at the house, I plan on getting the Brown Egg Layers special from Murry McMurray. Sound like a plan?

I don't have chickens but everyone looked at me like I was nuts when I said I was getting geese. The only person who was right on board from the first mention of them is the guy I'm seeing. (Which is a good thing since they live at his house) Everyone else was like wait what?!?! If your wife is growing on the idea I'm sure everyone else will (Or no fresh eggs for them
big_smile.png
). Good luck with the ne chicks!!!

Don't feel bad....I've gotten the same reaction from my two best friends about raising chickens....so no eggs for them! It wouldn't matter though, one of my friends won't eat anything that didn't come from the grocery store (wierd?).

I think it's great! I had that same initial reaction when my husband first mentioned that we should get some chickens. All I could see were headaches (having to clean the coop, feed them, $$$$ to be spent, etc...), but now that I have them - I LOVE THEM! We just finished our coop that we began on Mother's Day and my 6 babies are out there for their first night. And yes, I've gone out to check on them twice.

Have fun!!!! And tell your wife, she will really enjoy it. My two kids (ages 5 & 7) are really learning a lot!

I clean my coop every other week as well as rabbit pens. I dont think the smell is as bad as pig. lol Thats the one I can stand. lol Hubby is building me another coop for fancy...I hope he'll come around to likeing the little fluffy butts the way I have come to. If your neighbors dont like the idea just wait till you get some extra eggs and if you decide to let them sample...they may change their toon.

I wish that my hubby would get with the program. I was just talking to him today about needing to finish my duck coop and starting my new chicken coop and he had the nerve to tell me that "I wish that you would find something else that interested you." Needless to say, I came unglued on him. I told him that this is what I enjoy doing. I don't ask him to "find something else that interests him," when it comes to the things that he likes and I do not. He felt bad then...lol He told me that he wasn't telling me no, that he wouldn't help me, he just wished that I would find something else that interested me. I told him that he should have kept that to himself and walked off...lol

Anyway, good luck with your addiction...lol I have thought about ordering the Brown Egg Layers special, but was afraid of what I would receive. I know that alot of people on here really like the NN, but do not like them at all. Keep us posted as to how everything turns out.

Dorothy

My wife hasn't been too much with the program until our stupid dog (the rest of my families' favorite pet!) got one of my babies the other day. She was sympathetic, especially knowing how much work and research I've been doing to make sure the chickens lived. I've kinda pushed the issue a little tonight, went to an auction with my father-in-law and bought 15 rr chicks. This forum could have one less member tomorrow!!
big_smile.png

GranHabano, Just go for it. Other people don't know anything about chickens really. People come to my place thinking the chickens are strange, get curious when they see all the hens running around my lawn, ask alot of questions and buy a dozen eggs. Next thing you know I overhear them telling other people how cool my chickens are!

I know my hubby doesnt enjoy wood work at all hes a metal man. If I asked him to weld a steel coop, he'd do it in no time flat! lol Deep down I like to think he enjoys the chickens alittle.
hu.gif
Or on the other hand who knows maybe he just does it to keep me from nagging?
hugs.gif

Quote:
A STEEL COOP? The ULTIMATE in protection!!! Awww, have him DO IT!!! You'll just have to have him paint it white to decrease heat absorption, but my gosh, that would be the ULTIMATE fortress.

To get back on subject. my DH didn't want chickens at all! He pi*sed and moaned, so I just finally went and got them. Now he is the one who lets them out every morning, and just about every day he is out picking them up and talking to them. His feelings get hurt if they don't want to be held!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom