My wife laughed at me

Mine are now running to the front yard when I get home from work, and gathering around the driver's side of the car!! My DOGS used to do that, and now they hold back because there's only 2 of them and at least 10 of the chickens who have decided to greet me at the car.

Otherwise, yes, I am followed by some of the chickens wherever I go. But not all of them. Wow! 45 chickens ....

When I see the girls I bock at them, at first it was just fun to see the looks they gave me. But now when I bock at them, they all come running. Chickens are funny.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes siree bob--I hadda make decisions every day for 35 years about what color socks to wear, once I retired it was Gold Toe white socks for everything but wedding and funerals. No worries about mismatched pairs, matching them to my tie for the day or deciding what to wear--just toss 'em all in a drawer and grab two when I get up in the morning--unless I'm golfing that day, in which case I grab those ankle socks, in white, of course. Only problem is they never wear out--have some that I've had for 10 years--so unless they get too much dirt ground into them to come clean while working in the garden, I never get to buy new ones. Also it's blue jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer, the sleeve length on the shirt depending on the temperature.
smile.png

I figure at 72 I don't have that much time left to be wasting it on deciding what to wear every day.

Last edited:
My DH has an 'interesting' habit of taming the animals. We used to call him the 'cow whisperer'. When we first got the cattle some years ago, he really had no idea how to raise them. I bought him a book on raising beef cattle and he would sit in the pasture with the cows and read the book out loud to them (to get them used to him). That did work but many of them are waaaaaay too tame. Its really not a good idea to have 800 lb. animals that aren't very intuative that close to you. The result is him (and me) having to navigate through some spoiled rotten bulls and cows, trying not to trip over or get mashed by them. They come running if you just rattle a bag of range cubes. On occasion I have rattled the cat food bag to get a couple of escapees back in the pasture.

Then came the chickens....

Taming chickens was no problem. They come running too. What is funny is to see the cattle AND the chickens running to DH at the same time! One of these days I'm going to find him knocked out by a cow laying in road with cow poop all over him with chickens perched on his unconscious head.....
55921_cowisp.jpg

55921_on_his_head.jpg

Quote:
ep.gif
You're 72???? No way. That's not nice of you to try and fool us like that.

Thanks, I admit I'm stretching it a mite as my birthday is a month off--my DW says it is because I never worry about anything or maybe it is because I keep busy with my chickens and the"plantation" but I was born in Oct. 1938.

My whole flock comes running everytime I open the front door. They are in a coop away from the house...but we have a full view of them. If they are having an indifferent day, all I have to do is the clicking sound I have been doing since they were chicks and they shake it off real fast. My EE Rooster and EE Hen are the two that really follow me around though. I wish I could let them free range...but it is just to preditor(y) around here and I didn't get them to feed to the hawks and neighborhood dogs and cats that seem to find a way into my yard even though it is completely fenced.

My flock does it too, and Whoopi follows me into MY coop all the time. I am constantly picking her up and taking her back outside. I have another that goes everywhere I go in the yard and talks to me the entire time, we keep up a constant conversation, except for when i am weeding the garden. She's too busy eating the weeds to talk to me then. I love the companionship. My chickens are the only ones that will come near me when it's time to weed the garden, what's up with that??

Back
Top Bottom