My wild chicken. Breed? Sex? Age?

I buy chicken food (50 pound bags) from Peninsula Feed in Redwood City. Also, alfalfa hay and oats are not chicken food. :)

My selection of terminology is off.
I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

Yes I plan to buy Layer pellet so they can have it anytime they want. I will also combine with alfalfa hay for them to chew on. I will make my own scratch and peck . Mixture of corn,oats, egg shell, DE. I also plan to grow fodder. I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

There are so many good advice. How to combine it all??

A nutritionally balanced complete feed "crumbles or pellets what ever your preference or your birds preference rather" should make up 90% of their diet. Scratch grains, kitchen scraps, and all other treats should only make up 10% of their diet. To large of an amount of treats in their diet will lead to either over weight, malnourished, or nutritionally unbalanced birds. They will not lay well, be more susceptible to disease, and won't live normal life spans.

Most reputable feed companies have put decades of research and development behind their feeds to supply birds with the optimal nutrition in one bag. Which is designed to be a sole and complete daily ration.

I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

Yes I plan to buy Layer pellet so they can have it anytime they want. I will also combine with alfalfa hay for them to chew on. I will make my own scratch and peck . Mixture of corn,oats, egg shell, DE. I also plan to grow fodder. I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

If you are only planning on having this chicken, you do not want layer pellets. Hens need the extra calcium in layer pellets to maintain strong eggshells, but in birds that don't need that extra calcium (chiefly roosters) the extra calcium can cause organ damage. For this bird you would probably want a grower or all flock feed. If you are planning to get hens, I would get all flock and provide oyster shell on the side for the calcium.

Chickens do not have teeth, and I do not think that they need anything to chew on.

I believe that Scratch and Peck is a brand of commercial food. Scratch sold commercially is a mixture similar to what you are talking about here, but I know that for me it is much more cost efficient to buy it as opposed to making it.

Oats are considered a treat and should not be given regularly, same for table scraps and corn. Egg shell is given as a calcium supplement for hens only. I recommend getting grower or all flock feed for the rooster, which contains all he needs for a nutritionally balanced diet. :)

Most of what I am saying or learning are from watching youtube videos. Since I have one hen with this rooster, I guess I should get a non-medicated " all flock pellet".

I had been mixing in crushed eggshell into whatever I give them. Are you guys suggesting that I should keep it separate? How?

Also I thought about getting whole oats in order to give them as well as grow fodder for the chickens.

I also learn I need to get grits for them to use in their crop. I ordered diamateous earth to deworm them.

I supposed the plan is to mix the Dia. earth into the pellet. Keep the crushed eggshell separate? grit separate?

For greens, give them fodder and cut grass.

Kitchen scraps, rice, bread, whole oats for snack.
Am I on the right track now?

Thanks in advance.

Most of what I am saying or learning are from watching youtube videos. Since I have one hen with this rooster, I guess I should get a non-medicated " all flock pellet".

I had been mixing in crushed eggshell into whatever I give them. Are you guys suggesting that I should keep it separate? How?

Also I thought about getting whole oats in order to give them as well as grow fodder for the chickens.

I also learn I need to get grits for them to use in their crop. I ordered diamateous earth to deworm them.

I supposed the plan is to mix the Dia. earth into the pellet. Keep the crushed eggshell separate? grit separate?

For greens, give them fodder and cut grass.

Kitchen scraps, rice, bread, whole oats for snack.
Am I on the right track now?

Thanks in advance.
The diatomaceous earth is inactive when wet. It won't do anything.

You can keep crushed eggshell separate by having a dish of it next to what you give them.

All flock pellets sound good.

Grit should be separate as well, but if they are free ranging they probably don't need it.

You probably shouldn't give them cut grass, as it can get tangled up inside them and cause issues. I don't know what fodder is, so I can't help you there.

I can't help with rice, or oats, but most people do not recommend feeding bread. I don't remember why, hopefully someone else can help. Mine love strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, lettuce...most fruits and veggies are great for them.

Back
Top Bottom