My wild chicken. Breed? Sex? Age?

Gasong

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
I caught this wild chicken a week ago. From my research, I am guessing this is a Malay, rooster, 12-13 weeks old.
It doesn't cockadoodle doo.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1056.PNG
    IMG_1056.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
A nutritionally balanced complete feed "crumbles or pellets what ever your preference or your birds preference rather" should make up 90% of their diet. Scratch grains, kitchen scraps, and all other treats should only make up 10% of their diet. To large of an amount of treats in their diet will lead to either over weight, malnourished, or nutritionally unbalanced birds. They will not lay well, be more susceptible to disease, and won't live normal life spans.

Most reputable feed companies have put decades of research and development behind their feeds to supply birds with the optimal nutrition in one bag. Which is designed to be a sole and complete daily ration.

My selection of terminology is off.
I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

Yes I plan to buy Layer pellet so they can have it anytime they want. I will also combine with alfalfa hay for them to chew on. I will make my own scratch and peck . Mixture of corn,oats, egg shell, DE. I also plan to grow fodder. I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

There are so many good advice. How to combine it all??
If you are only planning on having this chicken, you do not want layer pellets. Hens need the extra calcium in layer pellets to maintain strong eggshells, but in birds that don't need that extra calcium (chiefly roosters) the extra calcium can cause organ damage. For this bird you would probably want a grower or all flock feed. If you are planning to get hens, I would get all flock and provide oyster shell on the side for the calcium.

Chickens do not have teeth, and I do not think that they need anything to chew on.

I believe that Scratch and Peck is a brand of commercial food. Scratch sold commercially is a mixture similar to what you are talking about here, but I know that for me it is much more cost efficient to buy it as opposed to making it.

My selection of terminology is off.
I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

Yes I plan to buy Layer pellet so they can have it anytime they want. I will also combine with alfalfa hay for them to chew on. I will make my own scratch and peck . Mixture of corn,oats, egg shell, DE. I also plan to grow fodder. I want to just give them table scraps and vegetation/grass. I am just too new to this and I need to figure out the most economical way to feed them and keep them nutritionally balance.

There are so many good advice. How to combine it all??
Oats are considered a treat and should not be given regularly, same for table scraps and corn. Egg shell is given as a calcium supplement for hens only. I recommend getting grower or all flock feed for the rooster, which contains all he needs for a nutritionally balanced diet. :)

Back
Top Bottom