• Poll choice

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Lavender Wraps

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2015
Northern California
I have both layers and Bantams. Most are coming out of molt now. My American Anaconda has the worst molt. She was all pin feathers, looked terrible. They feather out quite quickly. I may bring them back into laying by using a light that has to be in the sun during the day and put inside at night. Should work great since we have no electricity in the chicken house. I have 3 laying hens that tend to want to sit, the Anaconda and two Partridge Rocks. It must be in their nature to do so. I stop them from sitting by putting them outside during the day in a separate pen so they can't go back into the hen house until evening.
Now, my Bantams are a different story. We have them for pets and each one has they own personality! When they start to lay them ALL 5 of them want to sit. There is no rooster with them since our Frizzle is so small and even the smallest rooster eventually has all the feathers off her wings and head. She gets quite sore. Sad because she loves the attention from our tiny rooster, lol!
Any suggestions as to keep them from going broody? I've tried taking away their nest, even closing them out during the day. Nothing stops them, they see an egg or a nest then back on the nest ALL of them go!
Oh yes, we are in the mild part of California, never gets below 24 degrees, and that's rare. Mostly in the hi 30's and low 40's during the coldest time of the year.

Broody breeds are going to be broody. :idunno Sometimes the period between broody spells can be lengthened by allowing them to raise chicks. Even with that I have had some birds raise 5 broods in a season.

Broody breeds are going to be broody. :idunno Sometimes the period between broody spells can be lengthened by allowing them to raise chicks. Even with that I have had some birds raise 5 broods in a season.
Sounds like a lot of my girls.
What I sacrifice in egg production, I make up for in meat production with all the broodys having babies.

Back
Top Bottom