My Wyandotte is losing her feathers

Mandamoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Hi Community,

My wyandotte hen has been broody for some time, so we decided to get some fertilized eggs for her to sit on. She has now hatched 2 adorable chicks, which are 2 weeks old.

Now though, it is like she is molting and I wanted to check if this is normal for a hen who has been brooding?

She has never gone through a molt herself is is approximately 1.5 years old, so this could just be her first one.

She is eating and drinking and her behavior is normal and the other two hens aren't pecking at her so I know she is not injured...there are just feathers everywhere and I am not sure if I should be concerned for her well being.

Other than her feathers falling out, she is a fantastic little mummy hen and the two babies are so sweet!

Any advice you have for me would be wonderful.

Thank you. :)

My Silver Laced has lost her a large chunk of feathers this week too.
idunno.gif

She is ~15 months old.
I grew up with Leghorns and don't ever recall them losing so many feathers in one hit.
Is this common for Wyandottes?

Here is a picture of her.

My Silver Laced has lost her a large chunk of feathers this week too.
idunno.gif

She is ~15 months old.
I grew up with Leghorns and don't ever recall them losing so many feathers in one hit.
Is this common for Wyandottes?

Here is a picture of her.
Sorry to be slow responding to your post, but I was visiting Japan this past week and was unable to post on BYC while I was there. I don't specificallly recall any of the Wynadottes I've had losing such a large chunk of feathers with a molt, but it has happened with some of my other breeds, so I assume it can happen with Wyandottes as well. As long as she doesn't show any other symptoms of illness, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Thank you Michael for your kind reply.

Since my last post the little lady has regenerated new feathers, surprisingly only within a matter of days... her back is now looking like a porcupine. I read in another post to keep her protein up so she has been given special treats of cheddar cheese, tuna & meat. Like most seeing one of your girls moult for the first time is a bit of a shock!
We have a total of 5 ladies (3x SLW + 2x Australorps) so next time we will be prepared!

Here is a pic of 'Penny' with her new regrowth.
Thanks again for your advice. :)

Thank you Michael for your kind reply.

Since my last post the little lady has regenerated new feathers, surprisingly only within a matter of days... her back is now looking like a porcupine. I read in another post to keep her protein up so she has been given special treats of cheddar cheese, tuna & meat. Like most seeing one of your girls moult for the first time is a bit of a shock!
We have a total of 5 ladies (3x SLW + 2x Australorps) so next time we will be prepared!

Here is a pic of 'Penny' with her new regrowth.
Thanks again for your advice.
smile.png
You're welcome. Thanks for posting the pic. It appears that Penny's new feathers are coming in nicely. Soon you will be getting eggs from her again. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom