My Wyndottes will not lay!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HallChicks, Sep 5, 2007.

1. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Help! I have 5 beautil wyndottes and they are almost 22 weeks and we have not seen a single egg! They are getting about 13 hours of light (it was more, but the days are getting shorter...):eek: and we are feeding them a laying mix. We also let them free-range 2-3 times per week. I would love some advice!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Advice? Continue what you're doing and wait. They aren't really late yet. I just had a chicken begin laying at 30 weeks, but my Wyandottes started right about the age yours are now. Hang in there!

3. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Hallchicks, I have three Wyandottes who are 24 weeks old today. The first of them laid her first egg last Thursday, the second one laid her first on Monday and the third one spent over 2 1/2 hours in nest boxes today and still hasn't laid! (She kept moving from one nest to the other; guess she's trying them out to see how they feel!)

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Waiting is the hardest part. Good luck! Any day now...

5. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    Thank you for your encouragement![​IMG] I am not frustrated anymore- now I am excited again! Just think, it might be tomorrow!!! Thanks for your advice and information!!![​IMG]

6. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I feel your pain. My four girls (all different breeds) are just shy of 22 weeks. No eggs for me either. [​IMG]

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Hi there! Sounds like you are doing everything right. How has the weather been where you live?
    I also have 4 SL Wyandottes hens that just turned 22wks old yesterday. I only have one of them that has started to lay and it's sporatic. I know it's hard to be patient. The only other one that has just started to lay is one of RIR. Only 2 hens out of 15 are laying. I can't wait for them to all start. Come on eggs! I'm sure you'll be posting your first egg post soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by