My young chicken had its wing chewed off by a dog

So I should probably pick up some pain relieving gel and more wraps for her... She's already eaten and cleaned herself a bit. Definitely good signs. Thank you.
No pain relieving gel.
I would pick up some raw honey or order some of the Medihoney mentioned in that thread.

It's currently in shock right now. Opens its eyes a little bit but doesn't seem to register anything. Keep shivering and twitching. (By the time I have finished this post the shivering has almost come to an end)

I currently have some wraps around its now not wing with some medicine on it and it's sitting under a heat lamp that I've been using for my ducklings.

This chicken(hen) is about two or three months old

I can see the bone on it, along with what I think is skin, fat and muscle. It isn't bleeding very much. I have it wrapped with Vetericyn.
I'm sorry about your chick.
Vet care is best if at all possible.

Vetericyn is good to use, so you have that going. I would definitely read the link that @Texas Kiki posted.

It does sound like she isn't in so much shock now. Keep her relatively warm and calm. See if she will drink for you - dehydration is the worry - electrolytes or vitamins if you have them. Food is secondary, so don't feel like you have to make her eat if she doesn't want it right now.

If she were mine, I would also administer antibiotics since there is bone exposed. Do you have anything on hand?
Amoxicillin can be ordered here https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-mox?sku=22150-174 Penicillin can also be used, but I would try to get the Amoxicillin.

I'm sorry about your chick.
Vet care is best if at all possible.

Vetericyn is good to use, so you have that going. I would definitely read the link that @Texas Kiki posted.

It does sound like she isn't in so much shock now. Keep her relatively warm and calm. See if she will drink for you - dehydration is the worry - electrolytes or vitamins if you have them. Food is secondary, so don't feel like you have to make her eat if she doesn't want it right now.

If she were mine, I would also administer antibiotics since there is bone exposed. Do you have anything on hand?
Amoxicillin can be ordered here https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/fish-mox?sku=22150-174 Penicillin can also be used, but I would try to get the Amoxicillin.

She hasn't drunk yet, but we'll get her to. We don't currently have any electrolytes or vitamins but we're going out to get some soon, once we get her settled down. We also have no antibiotics on hand. Do you have any that you can suggest? I don't think we can get Amoxicillin or Penicillin right now, but I may be wrong.

Are there any medical wraps that are good to use? Something that could be found in a CVS or Rural King/Tractors Supply?

She hasn't drunk yet, but we'll get her to. We don't currently have any electrolytes or vitamins but we're going out to get some soon, once we get her settled down. We also have no antibiotics on hand. Do you have any that you can suggest? I don't think we can get Amoxicillin or Penicillin right now, but I may be wrong.

Are there any medical wraps that are good to use? Something that could be found in a CVS or Rural King/Tractors Supply?
You can order Amoxicillin on line, the link is in the post below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...wed-off-by-a-dog.1323866/page-2#post-21590513
Rural King may carry Procaine Penicillin G which can be used as well. Pick up a pack of the smallest size syringes they have along with some 20 gauge needles. If I had my choice, I would order the Amoxicillin if I could get in it a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom