Mycoplasma gallisepticum

purplechicken7

Chirping
May 24, 2016
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all!

I was just wondering how long MG lives in the environment without a host.

I culled all my birds back in November and have sanitized EVERYTHING. I now have baby chicks coming from Ideal, Meyer, and Cackle. I have even invested in a pair of rubber boots that I will ONLY wear at home around my chickens.

I just want to make sure my new babies are healthy. I understand even hatcheries aren’t safe from MG/MS but I figured my luck was better when ordering than buying from a private breeder.

I’m going thru MG now too. From what I’ve researched and been told by my vet, it’s easily killed. If you sanitized the whole coop and equipment in November and don’t have any birds, you are safe by now. It dies off after a couple weeks in perfect environment.

It's so sad to have something like this happen, so sorry for your loss.
My understanding is that you should be fine now. However, if you have a near neighbor with sick chickens, or sick wild wrens, that won't be good.
Do you know how your flock was infected? Practicing good biosecurity is so important!!!
Mary

It's so sad to have something like this happen, so sorry for your loss.
My understanding is that you should be fine now. However, if you have a near neighbor with sick chickens, or sick wild wrens, that won't be good.
Do you know how your flock was infected? Practicing good biosecurity is so important!!!
Mary

I’m pretty sure one of the first birds I ever bought from a man was infected. I was a novice and didn’t consider disease then.

Back
Top Bottom