Will a mycoplasma carrier still test positive even after symptoms are gone?

PeepingK

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Most of my flock has had on again off again mild respiratory infection symptoms. Right now they all seem to be symptom free but I really want to do a PCR test for MG and MS since I sell hatching eggs and chicks.
Since MG and MS are a CRD will they test positive even though they aren’t showing any symptoms?

Thanks! ❤️

Actually, I am not sure. They probably would test positive with a necropsy and tissue samples after death, but maybe not if they just had a pcr test if they were not having symptoms. My microbiology friend has always said that Mycoplasma can be hard to culture, even in humans. Your state vet lab is a good place to check. Here is a list of them:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Most of my flock has had on again off again mild respiratory infection symptoms. Right now they all seem to be symptom free but I really want to do a PCR test for MG and MS since I sell hatching eggs and chicks.
Since MG and MS are a CRD will they test positive even though they aren’t showing any symptoms?

Thanks! ❤️
MG/MS infected birds are carriers of the disease. Mycoplasma is also passed through the egg to chicks, if they survive.

Your chickens pcr test was negative in the past, so it is hard to know if they had MG/MS or something else. I would use caution selling eggs for hatching, and baby chicks just in case.
No I’ve never had a PCR test done in the past, this is my first time testing them for MG and MS. I swabbed the only chicken that still had a slightly runny nose, so I’m hoping that will be enough to accurately test him.
I’m just wondering how this works for NPIP certified breeders? They have to test yearly for MG and MS right? So if they’re flock is carrier wouldn’t they test positive even if they aren’t in active infection? Otherwise being NPIP would be kind of pointless if your birds only test positive during infection.
I hope I’m making sense here lol

MG/MS infected birds are carriers of the disease. Mycoplasma is also passed through the egg to chicks, if they survive.
yeah I understand that part, I’m just wondering if they will test positive for the disease even if they aren’t actively showing any symptoms.

I’m just wondering how this works for NPIP certified breeders? They have to test yearly for MG and MS right?
That's not correct and it varies by state. NPIP is for Salmonella pollorum (and fowl typhoid I think).. and 15 states require turkeys to be mg clean.. And yes.., it's kinda pointless anymore (a false sense of security).. though those diseases were prevalent at one time.. obviously some updates need to take place..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

This link indicates they can check directly for the organism (in clinical symptom birds) or also for the antibodies (in previous symptomatic birds)..

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/05/20/mycoplasmosis-in-backyard-chicken-flocks/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom