Mycoplasma what to do

I’ve done some more research and some things it could be are E. coli rhinitis or influenza as well as mycoplasma

If you are in the US, your state probably has a vet lab that can give a diagnosis. Call them and see what they require and how much it will cost. Every state is different. Here in Georgia the NPIP testers will come out and test for Mycoplasma and other illnesses along with the NPIP tests for additional fees. Sometimes they will let you send in a throat swab for testing.

Except for my sick girls the rest of my birds are laying and acting normal, so they don’t have anything that stops laying but the sick one hasn’t laid an egg yet

I would go ahead and treat the hen with either Tylosin or Doxycycline since she has symptoms of MG. They can sometimes have more than one infection at the same time, for example, infectious bronchitis which can affect egg shells. It is a virus, and won’t respond to antibiotics. It lasts about a month and tends to eventually run through the flock. Newcastles is rare, and used to not occur in the US. But there was an outbreak in Southern California a few years ago. The current disease affecting some chickens in the US is avian influenza (bird flu.) But this could just be a common respiratory disease. If you can call your state vet lab, you can ask about what diseases they are currently seeing in chickens in your area. You may also be able to get testing done on one or two birds, especially since you just lost a bird to an unknown illness a few days ago. You also mentioned that you would be moving with your birds soon. I would try to find out what is going on with them first. You can get a chicken necropsy done by the same state vet lab. Here is a link for the state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I would go ahead and treat the hen with either Tylosin or Doxycycline since she has symptoms of MG. They can sometimes have more than one infection at the same time, for example, infectious bronchitis which can affect egg shells. It is a virus, and won’t respond to antibiotics. It lasts about a month and tends to eventually run through the flock. Newcastles is rare, and used to not occur in the US. But there was an outbreak in Southern California a few years ago. The current disease affecting some chickens in the US is avian influenza (bird flu.) But this could just be a common respiratory disease. If you can call your state vet lab, you can ask about what diseases they are currently seeing in chickens in your area. You may also be able to get testing done on one or two birds, especially since you just lost a bird to an unknown illness a few days ago. You also mentioned that you would be moving with your birds soon. I would try to find out what is going on with them first. You can get a chicken necropsy done by the same state vet lab. Here is a link for the state vet:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Okay I will treat my bird with the doxycycline for once I figure out what dosage she needs

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just a note about contacting state vets. In Illinois they are VERY strict about diseases. I called about a necropsy for a bird that passed and they showed up in hazmat suit and bagged her. It was my son’s favorite girl and we were quite shocked. They wanted to test for avian influenza.

I use Perdue university for my necropsies now.

I use doxyvet which is bird specific so I’m no help for dosing.

Back
Top Bottom