Mysterious Death in 5 day old chick.HELP!

NamahKatana

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Oregon
My baby chick that was doing so well(the black one) showed no issues since birth just died. I checked on him about 15 min ago and he had his eyes closed and was rocking/shaking forward and back. I poked him and picked him up and he was still doing it. He had yellowish gooy poo on his bum. I just rechecked on him when my mom got home and he is dead! he has gooey foamish coming from his mouth. Any ideas on what happened??? I clean their cage daily and my flock are super healthy and never had any issues. These are my first chicks and now I only have one ='(

R.I.P Salt you were a good little chick

Do you have a good light on them, he could have gotten chilled.....how old was he? Poo stuck to the bum is pasty butt and must be cleaned off whenever you see it or it will build up till they can't poo. It is caused by different things but stress can bring it on. So very sorry, he was cute.

Do you have a good light on them, he could have gotten chilled.....how old was he? Poo stuck to the bum is pasty butt and must be cleaned off whenever you see it or it will build up till they can't poo. It is caused by different things but stress can bring it on. So very sorry, he was cute.
Yes the temp stayed pretty constant at 90 F and he could get away from it if needed. He was 5 days old. I also cleaned his bum if there was poo on it.

Edit: Just wanted to add that he was eating/drinking just fine this morning. My mom thinks maybe seizure? Any one have any experiance with them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom