Mysterious deaths

Masterjoe

Chirping
8 Years
May 5, 2014
I have been raising 17 Dominiques and 20 Production Reds in a 6x12 chicken coop since March. 3 weeks ago mid Aug I separated them according to breed into 6x8 movable chicken tractors. Since moving them into the yard and allowing them to eat the grass, weeds and dry feed almost half of them are now dead. It would be one or two at a time sometimes 3. I don't know what is going on but i am mad as hell. Any help would be appreciated. I will be moving them back into the coop once I finish the inside separation and attaching the tractors to the coop as a run for each of them.

I have been raising 17 Dominiques and 20 Production Reds in a 6x12 chicken coop since March. 3 weeks ago mid Aug I separated them according to breed into 6x8 movable chicken tractors. Since moving them into the yard and allowing them to eat the grass, weeds and dry feed almost half of them are now dead. It would be one or two at a time sometimes 3. I don't know what is going on but i am mad as hell. Any help would be appreciated. I will be moving them back into the coop once I finish the inside separation and attaching the tractors to the coop as a run for each of them.
I would definitely send one of them in for a necropsy so you can find out what is going on. I am in California and one of my chickens died about two weeks ago and I had my vet send the chicken to UC Davis to have a necropsy done because I want to find the reason she died and I also have nine other chickens.I am still waiting for the results, but that is what I would suggest

@aart
@azygous
any chance you can send one in for Necropsey, you need to keep it cool but not frozen, doesn't say where your at so can't tell you how to get ahold of your local resource for that

Well as of 10 minutes ago I am watching another one dying. Laying in the corner on her side legs bent head moving around. Im about ready to just say the hell with everything.

Sounds horrible! :(

Well, other than crowding, the only other thing I can think of right off the bat...
Since moving them into the yard and allowing them to eat the grass, weeds and dry feed almost half of them are now dead.
...is that they ate some toxic plant in the range area.

Need more info, like:
Age of birds?
What all and how exactly you've been feeding?
Any chance they have impacted crops for grass clippings?
What are any other symptoms did they have, and for how long, before dying.

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-8_16-6-33.png

It sounds like toxin exposure. Insecticides. Petroleum distillates such as paint thinner or hydraulic fluid. Someone a couple weeks ago had a chicken die that dirt bathed in a spot where a contractor had washed equipment after doing some cement work.

Another thing it could be is coccidiosis. If you live where it's been very wet and the climate is still mild, you could be having a coccidia bloom. You can collect a random poop sample and have a vet run a fecal float for coccidia and worms. After collecting the sample, you can start the rest of your chickens on Corid to try to save them. If the poop test comes back positive for coccidia, you've gotten a head start on treating it.

Back
Top Bottom