Mysterious disorder in the Cookies and Cream hybrid

Tunie B

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
I ordered two cute Cookies and Cream pullets from Meyer Hatchery for an April 2023 hatch date. They arrived safely and are very sweet and cute.

However—Cardi Beak began having mobility issues before she left the brooder (in fact, I posted here about her).

Nothing has worked—vitamins, making tiny splints , changing food. She did have a brief spell (maybe a few days) where she was able to walk and could enjoy outside time with her buddies—but then she backslid again,

Symptoms: unable to walk or stand. She flips over on her back a lot. She eats and drinks just fine and poop is normal, although when she can’t move she gets more poop on her booty (I give her baths).
It does look like the typical odd Marek’s split that chickens do. All my chickens are vaccinated. Wouldn’t anyone else have gotten it by now, if it was Marek’s? And the transmission would have had to be from me transferring dander, since she was in brooder.

I have seen at least 1 or 2 other people say this happened with their Cookies and Cream birds, and they ended up culling.

I am trying to find a vet to examine and tell me if it’s truly hopeless. I only want a humane euthanasia by vet—no way would I attempt.

Anyone out here have a story about your own Cookies & Cream paralyzed bird? Is it hopeless?

I ordered two cute Cookies and Cream pullets from Meyer Hatchery for an April 2023 hatch date. They arrived safely and are very sweet and cute.

However—Cardi Beak began having mobility issues before she left the brooder (in fact, I posted here about her).

Nothing has worked—vitamins, making tiny splints , changing food. She did have a brief spell (maybe a few days) where she was able to walk and could enjoy outside time with her buddies—but then she backslid again,

Symptoms: unable to walk or stand. She flips over on her back a lot. She eats and drinks just fine and poop is normal, although when she can’t move she gets more poop on her booty (I give her baths).
It does look like the typical odd Marek’s split that chickens do. All my chickens are vaccinated. Wouldn’t anyone else have gotten it by now, if it was Marek’s? And the transmission would have had to be from me transferring dander, since she was in brooder.

I have seen at least 1 or 2 other people say this happened with their Cookies and Cream birds, and they ended up culling.

I am trying to find a vet to examine and tell me if it’s truly hopeless. I only want a humane euthanasia by vet—no way would I attempt.

Anyone out here have a story about your own Cookies & Cream paralyzed bird? Is it hopeless?
UPDATE: I found a vet to evaluate and we made the decision to humanely euthanize. I hated to do it, but the vet felt that she had a low quality of life (and I agreed).

Back
Top Bottom