Mysterious illness throughout flock

I had one of my Barred Rock hens just found dead in our run.... she was hatched march last year... she has been coughing a little this is the first natural death from whats going on in the flock the others that died i culled..

I'm really hoping its nothing big that i don't loose the flock.
I'm calling the nhvdl tomorrow and see if they know what happened to my hen i brought up there and if they want to examine this one as well.

So i got the report i got.

------

tested postive for Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Mycoplasma Synoviae...

Necropsy

Gross Description:

Presenting for postmortem examination is a live, female, barred rock chicken in fair nutritional condition. The anumal is euthanized by CO2 inhalation. The animal weights 1500 g. There is moderate congestion and slight swelling about the orbits and of the eyelids. Lymphoid nodules within the lower eyelid's are prominent and visible grossly. There are no other significant gross lesions. Whole blood is collected for serology.

Microscopic Description:

Slide A. Cerebrum: There are no significant lesions (NSL).

Slide B. Cerebellum: NSL. Brainstem: NSL.

Slide C. Sciatic nerve: There are scattered foci within the nerve in which there are perivascular accumulations of small numbers of lymphocytes and rare lymphoblastic cells.

Slide D. Cardiac muscle: NSL. Lung there are peribronchiolar lymphoid aggregates. These lymphoid aggregates are prominent, with formation of germinal centers are infilrates of moderate to large numbers of lymphocytes throughout the lamina propria.

Slide E. Trachea: Diffusely throughout the trachea the lamina propria is infiltrated by moderate to large numbers of lymphocytes with occasional lymphoid germinal centers. Lower eyelid: The palpebral surface of the eyelid is partially eroded and the underlying dermis is infiltrated by moderate to large numbers of lymphocytes with frequent lymphoid centers. In the deep dermis there are pericascular infiltrates and accumulations of moderate numbers of lymphocytes and plasma cells.

Slide F. Liver: Throughout the liver there are mild infiltrates of moderate numbers of lymphocytes within protal regions. There are occasional lymphoid follicular centers within protal regions. Spleen: There is diffuse moderate lymphoid hyperplasia with follicular exhaustion.

Slide G. Kidney NSL. Liver: See description above. Gallbladder: NSL.

Slide H. Esophagu: NSL. Ventriculus: NSL.

Slide I: Proventriculus: NSL. Oviduct: NSL.

Silde J-K. Bursa: NSL.

Slide L. Ovary: NSL.

Slide M.-N. Duodenum, Jejunum, Ileum: The lumen of the ileum contains cross-sections of large numbers of cestode. The morphology
of cestode is consistent with Hymenolepis spp.

Slide O. Cecum and Colon: NSL.

COMMENTS:
The gross, histopathology and serology are consistent with Mycoplasma gallisepticum as a cause of upper respiratory and lower
respiratory disease. This is a reportable diseases in the state of New Hampshire and a copy of this diagnostic report has been
submitted to the state veterinarian for review. In addition, there are small numbers of lymphocytes within sciatic nerve which is
indicative of Marek's disease.

DIAGNOSES:
Moderate to marked, diffuse, chronic plasmacytic tracheitis, blepharitis and bronchitis.
Minimal to mild lymphocytic neuritis; sciatic nerve.
Moderate endoparasitism, cestodiasis; small intestine.

---------------

That is the report i got back...

Hope this helps anyone... I still have 12 more showing signs and i hope they dont die.

I also had the same problem
My bantam Cochins Were the only ones affected. The bird would lift itself up and then fall to one side, eventually becoming paralyzed. My last one i culled since she just got worst. The face color was gone and she had an old appearance to her.They said I didn't have mareks. So I'm not sure with yours but if she gets worse I would put her down if it gets really bad.
it also can be worms what colour is the poo if it is yellowish it is worms I have a turkey female with the same symtoms no sign of cold symtoms walk like someone had a lot of alchol and fall down. After 2 days with the dewormer(dosage in the mouth) she is up and walking normal still a bit weak but get better

I need to rework my flock, I did it this past spring.

As far as the report, that's great you got a diagnosis, I'm still waiting :(
Did they say how to treat?

no they didn't say how to treat but i looked it up online and it says the possible causes of this is by contaminated water....

i have an automatic waterer that i got a few months ago and we realized that it was leaking and made a big puddle in they're run.. fixed the leak but after about 2 weeks we noticed some started getting sick but didn't worry cause it was 1 or 2 i think... then a month later i now have 12 sick and 6 dead.... ( 4 i culled if you guys don't remember )

so we are thinking that they drank the puddled water and that's what got them sick. Now we have some big plastic waterers again and have apple cider vinegar in them.

Your necropsy indicates the presence of Marek's. There is no treatment. I would almost bet that the Marek's is first and the others are secondary infections brought on by the Marek's. I'm sorry. This isn't a good necropsy report for the longevity of your flock.

I can't tell you how she got it. Have you brought in any new chickens in the last 6 months? I'm sorry, I didn't reread your original post so I'm not sure of the age, sorry. You can usually trace it back if you have good records of your flock history. New birds, visiting farms, chicken shows, swaps, etc. These can all be the source of infection. Marek's is your number one problem. Although, the MS and MG are not good either. I would quarantine all with symptoms as soon as they show signs. There is no cure for Marek's. It is a hard disease to live with. There are some excellent threads on here about Marek's. You will see/meet some wonderful people on them. They will be more then happy to help you with questions. I am one of those. If you have any other questions after reading some of the threads, please ask away!

My test reports came back today, I am positive for MG. GREAT.
he.gif
I still have a couple with symptoms. Im going to try denegard and see what happens.

I can't tell you how she got it. Have you brought in any new chickens in the last 6 months? I'm sorry, I didn't reread your original post so I'm not sure of the age, sorry. You can usually trace it back if you have good records of your flock history. New birds, visiting farms, chicken shows, swaps, etc. These can all be the source of infection. Marek's is your number one problem. Although, the MS and MG are not good either. I would quarantine all with symptoms as soon as they show signs. There is no cure for Marek's. It is a hard disease to live with. There are some excellent threads on here about Marek's. You will see/meet some wonderful people on them. They will be more then happy to help you with questions. I am one of those. If you have any other questions after reading some of the threads, please ask away!

I bought chickens from Mt Healthy they arrived may 7Th... i kept them in the house for 4 and a half weeks or so then i put them in our brooder coop which run is attached to the big run with a fence in between so they can see each other, it helps when we integrate them.... that was the last time i added anyone to my flock...

the state called today cause the nhvdl sent the necropsy report to them ... they said they think i got it from mt healthy.... looks like the chicks weren't that healthy.....

the state said they will have the real vet call me in the next few days to they can check into it..

Back
Top Bottom