Mysterious illness throughout flock

Oxine is another great sanitizer but, if you are going for cheap and effective, good old bleach water will do the job.

Update: I called my state blood tester. She took 2 of my olandsk dwarfs that were the worst. I got them from green fire farms a couple weeks ago. The female had a really bad messed up
Eye and really swollen glands, and the male had a bad respiratory infection and looked like he was developing cataracts. She was taking them to the lab to watch there symptoms then they would uthenize them and check out inside. It Killed me to do it but I know it's for the good of the flock. I will be getting results this weekend.

I am so sorry
hugs.gif
At least now you will get your answers and know what is best for the rest of your flock. Please keep us updated.

Update: I called my state blood tester. She took 2 of my olandsk dwarfs that were the worst. I got them from green fire farms a couple weeks ago. The female had a really bad messed up
Eye and really swollen glands, and the male had a bad respiratory infection and looked like he was developing cataracts. She was taking them to the lab to watch there symptoms then they would uthenize them and check out inside. It Killed me to do it but I know it's for the good of the flock. I will be getting results this weekend.
please lets us know what is the outcome maybe we all will learn something

Oxine is another great sanitizer but, if you are going for cheap and effective, good old bleach water will do the job.
Yes that works I have a pea once with respiratory infection with a eye who was bad swollen and temporirary blindness at that stage money was at the rare stage and bleach was healing him complete. I remember it was before breeding season and was healed just before breeding season. He has 2 females and both have strong and healthy chicks, what I also use is virkon s which we use for cleaning baskets and drinking points , where you just ad about 5mg in 10liter water and pour in their drinking points.

I'm so sorry. I know losing a flock is really hard.
hit.gif

Hello everyone! Thanks for all your advice. I Recieved my answer and was quite shocked. My state blood tester called me earlier today and said that last week, I had my birds blood tested since I'm NPIP, my blood test reports were negative for Pullorum and AI. The reports from the 2 birds that I donated Also came back negative for coryza, avian bird flu and other main diseases. The scientists at the lab said they believed it was MG and I can treat with duramycin or tetroxy HC. I am very relieved but I don't get how MG could cause 5-10 casualties in a single month, blindness, paralyzation, swelling around the face and that weird dirty smell. The final report will be posted Monday. I would highly suggest other people doing this test if they are unsure. The test was $100 but I've known the lady since I was 10 (I'm 22 now) and I guess if it's under respiratory they can cover the charge. Because she did the test, I have to be quaranteened until She gets the final report, and Since the birds are not sick, i will be released in 10 days, but they will keep an eye in me. This is a lesson well learned for me.

Are they also going to Necropsy? If so, please post the final report. I'm glad that you're not dealing with Coryza!!!

You never mentioned the blindness and paralysis before. I do hope that they are doing a full necropsy. I'm concerned that the MG is a secondary infection, not the primary cause with those symptoms.

Last edited:
I am glad things worked out for the best. We had MG at one point (no swollen eyes, but we did have rattly breathing and weight loss) and we did lose a bunch at the beginning of the infection. Then it kind of petered out with a lot of sickish birds but no deaths after that first horrible week. We knocked it out for good by misting with Oxine.

The kind of "paralysis" you saw, where they walk, fall over, seem to not be able to move, and then quickly die, is just the way chickens die sometimes. True paralysis is an alert chicken who doesn't seem to have other issues but can't move the legs or wings.

Back
Top Bottom