Mysterious upper respiratory problems...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thecowboysgirl, May 11, 2011.

1. Thecowboysgirl

Thecowboysgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi guys,

I have 1 Barred Rock rooster, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Buff Orps who are coming 20 wks or so. I also have a mixed breed chick who might be a month and a half.

Roo has been sneezing for about a week and has clear, smelly discharge from nostrils. No other symptoms. Now some of the hens are sneezing, too. I saw at least one of the RIRs had clear nasal discharge too.

They have been on Duramycin for about 24 hrs with no improvement.

Any suggestions? I have no accommodations to separate sick birds but I imagine they are all infected anyway.

Everyone appears bright-eyed, bushy tailed, hungry and happy besides the sneezing and runny noses.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Boy I don't know. I've had problems this year too and I wondered if it was overcrowding or maybe I didn't clean often enough.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I'm sorry to say that this sound like coryza due to the smelly discharge from your rooster. I recommend that you type "coryza" in the BYC search box and read everything you can on it. I hope it isnt coryza. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by