Jul 5, 2018
Illinois
C46B1625-0B8B-43C3-B469-2C07C36D1B19.jpeg
A7E63B35-8AA6-442E-A3BC-C0C92D8A8C20.jpeg
3585ACA4-FCF3-481E-AD08-55838BA8C41B.jpeg
C46B1625-0B8B-43C3-B469-2C07C36D1B19.jpeg
A7E63B35-8AA6-442E-A3BC-C0C92D8A8C20.jpeg
3585ACA4-FCF3-481E-AD08-55838BA8C41B.jpeg
hello. I am new to this forum. I hope I can get some advice about my 18 week old Pekin Drake.

On July 4 my family had obligation in the morning so I left my ducks in their shed until about noon. It is well ventilated and was cooler than the outside.
When I went to put out the flock I had one of my Pekin Drakes sitting in the corner. He wouldn’t get up and out. He was unable to stand but eventually got outside the shed. He couldn’t walk once outside.
I have since brought him into the house and am feeding him vitamins and such. He stayed over night in a crate and today he really hasn’t improved.
His foot is all curled. There are no signs on injury, no bumblefoot, no pecking/biting marks.

Last edited:
Have you put him into water deep enough for him to float to see if he can use his leg at all? Any swelling, redness, heat more so on one part than the other foot?

I posted a few videos after the initial posting.

He was in the tub and the foot stayed curled. He tried to use it to clean his head but it got stuck under his wing.

Makes me think an injury. Sorry the videos came up after your pics posted. Could he have gotten up on something and jumped down. Any chance of a vet?

Have you put him into water deep enough for him to float to see if he can use his leg at all? Any swelling, redness, heat more so on one part than the other foot?
He has been in the tub with a good depth of water. he will flap the leg once or twice but it stays curled up. he has also tried to use the bad foot to scratch/clean his eye but it doesn't work well and gets stuck on his wing or belly.

Makes me think an injury. Sorry the videos came up after your pics posted. Could he have gotten up on something and jumped down. Any chance of a vet?
I have my ducks in a shed with an enclosure. there isn't anything they can get up on. he has been found IN the water tub occasionally. I think that maybe he got spooked by fireworks and then jumped around.

That very well could have done it I was worried about my flock since the people across the river had fire. Crackers going off for a long time last night. Best thing to do is keep him quiet with plenty of rest for a few days longer if needed and see how he is doing then. Some poultry vitamins can help give him a boost while healing but I wouldn’t let him try and get in a out of the pool unless he can do so safely probably best you help for now. Let us know how he is doing hopefully just a sprain and it will heal fine.

Thanks. I will keep him quiet for a few days. I’ve been putting him in the tub a few times a day just to get the pressure off his leg. He’s been getting a B vit complex, niacin in his water and peas as a treat. I’m going to pick up some poly vi sol soon. I may pick up some baby aspirin for him as he does sound labored in his breathing.

That very well could have done it I was worried about my flock since the people across the river had fire. Crackers going off for a long time last night. Best thing to do is keep him quiet with plenty of rest for a few days longer if needed and see how he is doing then. Some poultry vitamins can help give him a boost while healing but I wouldn’t let him try and get in a out of the pool unless he can do so safely probably best you help for now. Let us know how he is doing hopefully just a sprain and it will heal fine.

Back
Top Bottom