Mystery chick- joint effort!

I think it can't be the blue ameraucana mom. She said it hatched from a brown egg. I am going with the last category, multiple EE moms. That is the only bird that would have laid a brown egg, had a possibility to carry yellow leg and recessive white, and increase the chances for getting a beard. Did the chick get a pea comb?

Quote:
Yeah don't you think that two days old is kinda soon to tell leg color????
At About 4-5 days the my chicken's leg color is normally set.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! That is Peanut. She's my middle dog. Daschound/long hair chihuahua mix. We also have a Great Dane mix (Scooby Doo) and a tiny Chihuahua (LittleBit) that weighs 2 1/2 pounds. Peanut is always supervising when I am doing anything with the chicks, she is such a worry-wart!
Is your name Grace? That's my name.

My name is Grace! And I too have a dog named Peanut! She's a worry wort as well, and totally freaked out during the new years fireworks. She's a chihuahua, and the bee's knees!
hugs.gif

What a weird coincidence!

Quote:
I would rule out the Silkie because the half-Faverolle rooster would also have five toes and she said this chick is bigger than any of the others -- a half-Silkie chick would most likely be smaller than any of them. I suspect the Cinnamon Queen is the mother.

Kathleen

ETA: Does this remind anyone else of the game, Clue?!?
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I would rule out the Silkie because the half-Faverolle rooster would also have five toes and she said this chick is bigger than any of the others -- a half-Silkie chick would most likely be smaller than any of them. I suspect the Cinnamon Queen is the mother.

Kathleen

ETA: Does this remind anyone else of the game, Clue?!?
smile.png

your right cinamin queen chicks start out white dont they?? then they turn orangey red as adults---I think we found the mamma!!!

Cinnamon Queens are from RIR male out of Silver Laced Wyandotte. Sounds like the Silver Laced Wyandotte may have contributed a gene that helps makes white.

What color egg does the multiple EE mom lay? Some hens with EE ancestry can lay brown eggs, although then I think you just call them mutts.

May I suggest you just hatch out several eggs from both, crossed with the Favorelle/Ameraucana cross rooster and see what happens. With both parents being crosses, you have a tremendous amount of possibilities in the offspring for colors and patterns. At the worst, you'll have more chickens.

Quote:
The EE moms lay green and 2 shades of blue. One very blue like a robins egg ( a tad lighter) and then almost aqua blue

Then I'm really betting on the Cinnamon Queen as the mama. I still think you should hatch eggs from the cross rooster to the cross hens. The resulting colors and patterns could be striking and unpredictable. Of course, you should hatch some of the other eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom