Mystery chick with crest- legbar?

Swedish Flower also can develop crest like that...

Agree it looks like an OE. :love

I have a frost white legbar developing her crest and a Swedish flower as well- no sign of a crest yet but I’m in love with her :love

A44043F8-ADC5-4CDB-8E18-F554A40569D9.png

7044D51E-7434-4402-B5FA-CFC63209F405.jpeg

Attachments

• C114C9A4-421B-4BBD-9C96-4F8A32482FF4.jpeg
    C114C9A4-421B-4BBD-9C96-4F8A32482FF4.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 6
the coloring looks female, but the legs, comb development, stance, and tail seem male.

I sure hope you’re wrong that “she” is a he. All my chicks were purchased sexed (2 male Buckeyes, the rest females), except four from the “adopt me” selection. Chick in question is one of those so it’s not impossible (especially since I know mistakes are made in sexing anyways). But my LO that I am almost positive is a male has a much pinker comb at this stage. I know it’s hard to tell at this age. Patience is not my best virtue :barnie I know they say the eye stripes+ dark strip down the back tend to be sex-linked to females in cream legbars, I am guessing that wouldn’t always hold true for mixed breed cream legbar crosses?

Here “she” is again on the far right with some of the others to compare combs:

D5A83ACB-DF03-4812-905D-E4942729F356.jpeg

I sure hope you’re wrong that “she” is a he. All my chicks were purchased sexed (2 male Buckeyes, the rest females), except four from the “adopt me” selection. Chick in question is one of those so it’s not impossible (especially since I know mistakes are made in sexing anyways). But my LO that I am almost positive is a male has a much pinker comb at this stage. I know it’s hard to tell at this age. Patience is not my best virtue :barnie I know they say the eye stripes+ dark strip down the back tend to be sex-linked to females in cream legbars, I am guessing that wouldn’t always hold true for mixed breed cream legbar crosses?

Here “she” is again on the far right with some of the others to compare combs:

View attachment 1824844
Hmm yeah appears to be pullet

This is NOT a cream Legbar. She looks very close to a legbar. She has the 1) crest, the 2) eyeliner, 3) the barring, and 4) the yellow legs, but there are a few things that are off.

1) She has some type of pheomelanin color modifier (mahogany?, dark brown?, Chocolate?, Other). The breast is supposed to be a salmon color and this pullet has a chocolate colored breast. That Chocolate color is also in the wings, the tail and in the eyeliner. NOT a legbar.
2) Yes, there is a tinny crest on this pullet, but it is NOT a complete crest. The cresting gene is dominant so if a crested breed is crossed with another 100% of the offspring will come out with a crest. They, however, will only carry one cresting gene and their crest will NOT be like the crest of the parent with the crest. It will be much thinner and smaller. This pullet does NOT have a full crest. In this photo, it looks like there are just two feathers sticking up. A complete crest was cover the whole head, not just two feathers. This bird is split from the cresting gene. This is is a cross.

I am guessing this is a Legbar Cross. Possibly a cross with a Wellsummer. The Wellsummers crosses are quite dark. There may be some photos of a Legbar x Wellsummer on the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread. Several people used that cross for their Oliver Egger projects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom