Mystery chick

Was your order for bantam or standard breeds?

Nvm. They have both bantam and standard sized blue cochins. Should match your order: bantam with bantam, standard with standard.
My order from Meyer was for large fowl but the bantams were included in my assortment orders.

So I for sure through this little one would be blue but all the feathers are coming in white. So I guess white bantam Cochin.
Having never had bantams can it remain with my large fowl or should I be looking to rehome?

So I for sure through this little one would be blue but all the feathers are coming in white. So I guess white bantam Cochin.
Having never had bantams can it remain with my large fowl or should I be looking to rehome?
I've seen people keep them together. I separate for breeding purposes but I also have a fantastic temperament flock and they are very accepting of birds. I didn't have issues when they run together. But I think it's a case by case basis. How many birds do you have? Do you have a rooster?

No rooster currently. Though this was my free mystery chick so we all know that’s often a male. I have 13 grown birds and 6 new birds that are 4 wks

A cochin (bantam or otherwise) will probably be okay living with standard sized chickens. If it gets picked on, obviously you should intervene or rehome it at that time. But I wouldn't expect trouble. Many kinds of bantams can hold their own quite well against bigger chickens.

And I don't know whether it would be a bantam or not. I think Cochins tend to grow slowly, so it might be a slow-growing large Cochin, rather than a bantam. You may not know for sure until it is several months older than it is now.

No rooster currently. Though this was my free mystery chick so we all know that’s often a male. I have 13 grown birds and 6 new birds that are 4 wks
Since the mystery chick is probably a male, and would be the only male in the flock, I think that makes it more likely to do fine with the standard-sized hens when it grows up.

I would love to see updated pics of the wee one!

I keep bantams and large fowl together....unfortunately I am down to one elderly bantam cochin now. She is still thriving with 27 large breed hens and a large breed rooster. He doesn't mess with her at all.

@Medodge I'm wondering if the color of your chick will end up being splash?

Splash colored birds usually have white feathers when they first grow in and then gradually get flecks of black or darker gray as they mature more. Plus, the down color on your chick is darker on the head and back than what I'd expect from a white chick.

On McMurray's description of their Blue Cochins they also state that black, white, and splash birds are possible along with showing pictures of those chicks. Their description of Blue Cochin bantams also shows pictures of Blue, Black, and Splash chicks.

I'm definitely not an expert but I also would like to see how this chick looks as it grows! ✌️

Hmmm Gravitywaves. I have a couple splash birds. I hadn’t thought of that possibility. I’ll take updated pics tomorrow. I’ll also inspect closely

Back
Top Bottom