1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mystery chickens - breed and sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swtbtrcup, Jul 11, 2011.

1. swtbtrcup

swtbtrcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    Ameracauna's.... I think all are pullets. Im wondering if they are really Ameracauna's or another breed. One is black with gold laced feathers, gray/black and white, mostly yellow and brown, reddish color

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what she is. I cant remember if I got her with the ameracauna's or at TSC. She is orange/red with bluish color on her neck. She is very sweet and docile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 3 are cochins. Im wondering what color they are. (There are other chickens in the picture with them) I am thinking either all blue's or maybe 2 blue's and a lavender? All 3 are varied shades of the blue/gray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Carol

2. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    The black and red one the cute little girl is holding looks pretty Dark Cornish to me.

3. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    Yes, the little girl is holding a dark cornish. I have 2.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Side pics of the birds standing naturally would be best to show colors, stance, wing/tail carriage, and build. The one with laced feathers looks like a dark Cornish. It looks like you might have some Easter Eggers and the Cochins look more like Cochin crosses. They aren't carrying the heavy leg/foot feathering or "poofiness" of purebred Cochins. Still looks like a nice little rainbow flock.

5. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    Thanks. I know I've seen other chickens that look like her. Only thing I noticed is she seems to have longer legs than the pics I've seen of dark cornish hens.

6. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    Picture taking doesnt work well with 2 little girls assisting haha. I will probably take more when I can keep them out of the pen.

They are a pretty laid back group of chickens so I am happy with them. My silkie roo thinks he is Mr. Studmuffin and runs the entire pen.

7. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Most "Ameracaunas" are actually Easter Egger mutts [​IMG] I found that out after I got my 3. Mine all look completely different from each other, but they are all love bugs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    I got them so the girls could have pretty eggs. Luckily all appear to be girls so I dont have to worry about mixing.

9. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Quote:I can't wait until I see the colored eggs my 2 EE pullets lay ! I also have an EE roo, just in case I want some more chicks that lay pretty eggs [​IMG]

10. swtbtrcup

Apr 22, 2010
    White Springs
    I cant wait for mine to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by