Mystery Chicks #1

cherry511

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
These are 7 - 8 week old hens from Rural King, Hoover Hatchery’s Rare Breed Assortment. Any ideas on breed? Thank you!

Attachments

• CFA004C9-FA52-4CA9-B339-4D3F2141F05E.png
    CFA004C9-FA52-4CA9-B339-4D3F2141F05E.png
    3 MB · Views: 70
  • 064FB812-CF1F-430A-B70D-5E4E8C874BCF.png
    064FB812-CF1F-430A-B70D-5E4E8C874BCF.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 977ECE40-CA52-4F86-A81A-7DB8557A8E01.png
    977ECE40-CA52-4F86-A81A-7DB8557A8E01.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 26
  • B460322B-14B0-4DA6-AECC-29A2D910D4CC.png
    B460322B-14B0-4DA6-AECC-29A2D910D4CC.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 27
It looks a lot like my maran pullets- seems crazy that they’ll be completely black when grown- Does she have feathers down her legs? If so- that’s a good indicator of a maran- I forget which kind of Maran I ended up with - I was to get 2 kinds but they were sold out of the other.

It looks a lot like my maran pullets- seems crazy that they’ll be completely black when grown- Does she have feathers down her legs? If so- that’s a good indicator of a maran- I forget which kind of Maran I ended up with - I was to get 2 kinds but they were sold out of the other.
No, feathers down the legs. Thank you!

Your chicks look like you have one new hampshire (the most red one), maybe a few cinnamon queens, and possibly a few starlight green eggers? Sorry, I see no rare breeds, or prairie bluebells (no pea comb). Also no feathered feet.

I think your order or the bins got mixed up. I'm so sorry!!!

Good thing is, cinnamon queens should give you one large egg a day, SGEs should give you one medium green egg a day, and new hampshire should give ~5 eggs a week. So you should get lots of eggs if you decide to keep them. Many of the rare breeds listed often lay much less frequently.

Prairie Bluebell Eggers (PBEs) are a designer "breed" of Easter Egger (EE) from Hoovers that lay only blue eggs and have no muffs or beards. However, they all have pea combs. Since none of yours have pea combs, there are no PBEs. Also the feathering colors on your chicks do not match those for PBE (I have a number of PBE).

EEs can have a pea comb or not, depending on their genetic history, and any type of feathering colors. Muffs and beards are common with EE, but not always present - your chicks do not have muffs or beards. Often pea comb is linked with the blue egg gene (it is for PBE) but not for all breeds. If the easter eggers are based on cream crested legbar, for instance, they will have straight comb.

FYI, Starlight Green Eggers are a designer "breed" of EE produced by Hoovers that has a straight comb and often, but not always, has coloring similar to red sex-link hens. They also come in partridge and some other colors, but that doesn't apply to your chicks. For starlight green eggers, the blue egg gene is linked to straight comb. These lay green, but sometimes tan.

Prairie Bluebell Eggers (PBEs) are a designer "breed" of Easter Egger (EE) from Hoovers that lay only blue eggs and have no muffs or beards. However, they all have pea combs. Since none of yours have pea combs, there are no PBEs. Also the feathering colors on your chicks do not match those for PBE (I have a number of PBE).

EEs can have a pea comb or not, depending on their genetic history, and any type of feathering colors. Muffs and beards are common with EE, but not always present - your chicks do not have muffs or beards. Often pea comb is linked with the blue egg gene (it is for PBE) but not for all breeds. If the easter eggers are based on cream crested legbar, for instance, they will have straight comb.

FYI, Starlight Green Eggers are a designer "breed" of EE produced by Hoovers that has a straight comb and often, but not always, has coloring similar to red sex-link hens. They also come in partridge and some other colors, but that doesn't apply to your chicks. For starlight green eggers, the blue egg gene is linked to straight comb. These lay green, but sometimes tan.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom