Mystery chicks from TSC

Look up Buff Chanteclers...they are bright golden yellow with very yellow legs. A lot of the TSCs are using Hoover's Hatchery right now and they do carry Chanteclers. Pretty, gentle birds.

he's not a brahma, he has the wrong comb and the wrong leg color... besides being barely feathered on the legs. I'd say he's a hatcher cross of some sort, but I have no idea what.
Do you think he could be a Brahma leghorn mix? Just barely hanging on to the Brahma with the slightly feathered feet.

the legs are the wrong color for that... they'd be bright yellow since both leghorns and brahmas have yellow skin. Additionally, that would give him a modified pea comb, as the pea comb is dominant over the single comb.
Sheesh.
Complicated.
thank you so much.
Might just get tired of guessing and just go with “dunno” and leave it be.
if he’s a good rooster I don’t care much. Not showing any birds so I’m good.

Look up Buff Chanteclers...they are bright golden yellow with very yellow legs. A lot of the TSCs are using Hoover's Hatchery right now and they do carry Chanteclers. Pretty, gentle birds.

Chanteclers have a walnut comb (genetically rose + pea). It would be flat on top, not very tall, but wider than a single comb.

The yellow-legged buff in the photos appears to have a single comb (I can see the row of points in each of two photos.)

So I think she's probably not a Chantecler.

I think Buff Orpington with non-standard leg color is most likely.
Buff Orpingtons are quite common, and at this age the only thing that looks wrong is the leg color. Because yellow legs are recessive, it is possible for two chickens with white legs (correct for Orpington) to produce a chick with yellow legs, so it can just pop up even in a flock of birds that are themselves correctly colored.

The other Buff breeds I know of, all of which are rarer than Buff Orpingtons:
Buff Rocks-- yellow legs, single comb, currently looks right.
Buff Leghorns-- yellow legs, single comb, large comb at maturity, currently looks right.
Buff Wyandotte-- should have a rose comb.
Buff Minorca-- should have white legs.
Buff Cochin-- should have feathered legs.
Buff Chantecler-- should have walnut comb.
Buff Cornish-- should have a pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom