mystery chicks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jawsh, May 27, 2016.

1. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    I just got my first flock and out of my 11, I got 2 mystery chicks from a cute little farm. Does anyone have a clue what they may be? I am a total newbie but I think the brown one may have wellsummer in her because she looks like the wellsummer chicks I have but I can't be sure. Also, are the feathers growing out of her feet normal?(sorry for the ignorance). The gray one I have no clue. Also, I got 3 barred rocks, and one of them is looking to be a rooster(after everything I've read). What do you guys think? Thanks![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    #1 looks like an Easter Egger
    #2 Cochin or Brahma mix
    #3 Barred Rock or Barred Rock mix

3. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Cool thanks!
    Any thoughts on the barred rock being a rooster? I have read they have lighter feet and a lot more white than the ladies. And this on definitely has a lot more white than my other 2 barred rocks...

4. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    well, if it is a purebred then I would say yes but since we are not sure I would say give it some time and see how it feathers out/grows.

5. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Sorry I should have been more clear- the first 2 were the mystery chicks. The last one is from a feed store and is pure bred barred rock. I was questioning sex on him/ her... Probably him it seems. Thanks so much for your help!

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    You got it from the feed store? I would still wait a little because feed store BRs don't always turn out to breed standards.

7. jawsh

jawsh Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Good to know thanks! I will definitely wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by