Mystery crower

dukegirl

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 31, 2009
For the first time since we got our chickens, we were awoken to the sound of crowing. They are about 8 months old. We have a few suspects. I'd like to find out if one or all of these are roos and if my guesses on breed are correct.

This is Rabia. I think s/he's a blue cochin.
753816324_pbYUV-M.jpg

This is Fatty. I have no idea what s/he is. She is huge and has blue legs.
753816320_Z7M3q-M.jpg

753816315_mNwUn-M.jpg

This is Tony. We have two of these and I think they are Austrolorps. Blue/gray legs with pinkish bottoms.
753816334_hvahH-M.jpg

Funny that these are all our most docile and friendly chickens of the bunch but I've caught Fatty trying to get it on with one of our leghorns and this morning, Rabia was clucking aggressively at the entire flock who then retreated to their roosts.

Thanks!
Lisa

Hard to say.

Bottom one looks like it's got the start of saddle feathers.

On first look though, I picked the cochin as the crower.

that last one is definitely the roo ! the tail feathers say it all-look like sickle feathers. the first pic is a cochin and would have a huge comb over it's head if it was a roo-so i say it is a she.

your white one also looks like a roo. it has the saddle feathers around the rump that are very pointed looking. i don't see any sickle feathers in the tail but i can't tell from the angle in the pics.

Thanks everyone. Any idea what breed the white one is?? And do you agree that the black one is an australorp?

My guess is that fatty is your crower - I think I see pointed sickle feathers on him and his behavior to your leghorn also points to roo.

I can't tell if your black australorp has pointed sickle feathers in that pic, but the tail does look kind of large (at least from that view) - If your chickens are 8 months old, I'd think your BA would have a much larger comb & wattles if it was a roo. This is my BA pullet at only 5 months old (23 weeks) and her comb & wattles look about the same size as your 8 month old BA - she wasn't laying at the time this pic was taken, but is now:
Frizzle024.jpg

Does your other BA look identical to this one (same size comb, feathers, etc)?

The blue cochin looks like it has rounded hackle feathers (can't see the sickle feathers in that pic - you need side view pics), which would point to pullet - the comb and wattles alone aren't enough to distinguish male from female at this age - if your cochin is close to laying, her comb would be quite large

Try taking a couple more pics of them from the side view - by 8 months of age, your roos should have pointed sickle & hackle feathers
and it's hard to see those feathers from these pics

Back
Top Bottom