Mystery Eggs - Broody Hatch-A-Long

I have a persistent broody that I finally gave some eggs. In the afternoons I find her in another nest away from the ones I marked for her to hatch. When I move the eggs they’re warm so someone is keeping them warm when she moves. I guess when she gets up to do her business she loses her nest and any eggs will do for her. She does stay on them all night. Hopefully she will hatch them. I just got sick of trying to break her 🙄

I was able to candle some of her eggs last night and some looked to be completely infertile. Though, I’m going to give it until day 10 to remove the ones that have nothing in them.

Attachments

• F958F4AB-D780-4D1D-B97D-5D6FE4C805D0.jpeg
    F958F4AB-D780-4D1D-B97D-5D6FE4C805D0.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 7B6768D6-FA74-4448-BD24-36862E2238BC.jpeg
    7B6768D6-FA74-4448-BD24-36862E2238BC.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 4
I have a Jersey Giant who went broody last week. I pulled the roosters a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt any of the eggs in her nest are fertile. It's also her first time (she's coming on two,) so I really didn't feel any urgency. Well, a week later and she's definitely sticking to her decision. It's time to iver her some eggs. The problem is that she's a VERY large JG ... and the only fertile eggs I've got are Nankin bantams. I'm nor sure I'm brave enough to put those under her. One misstep and they're all gone!
Decisions!

I have a Jersey Giant who went broody last week. I pulled the roosters a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt any of the eggs in her nest are fertile. It's also her first time (she's coming on two,) so I really didn't feel any urgency. Well, a week later and she's definitely sticking to her decision. It's time to iver her some eggs. The problem is that she's a VERY large JG ... and the only fertile eggs I've got are Nankin bantams. I'm nor sure I'm brave enough to put those under her. One misstep and they're all gone!
Decisions!
You could risk it if you want. Miss Prissy is around 10-11 pounds and hasn’t broken any more eggs beyond the one she stepped on by accident ( and it might not have been her ). She has a silkie egg under her that has done fine.

98B4EE87-D73B-4B54-8C20-7055EF4056E4.jpeg

oh boy….i might have another broody on my hands. Tilly, my black sex-link, hasn’t been out of the nest yet today and she’s screeching at me. Her and my ISA Browns are the last hens I’d ever expect to go broody….

Attachments

• CD895B7C-893B-4ED7-88F2-7102E0FCBFA0.jpeg
    CD895B7C-893B-4ED7-88F2-7102E0FCBFA0.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 3
So, I candled all of Miss Prissy’s eggs tonight and 4 had nothing in them while 1 was DIS and stunk to high heaven. I’m surprised she didn’t knock it out of the nest, but she was trying to furiously put the duds under her when I had her out of the nest so I could candle.

Good news, though, I took the 5 eggs from the incubator and put under her, so she’s still sitting on 11 eggs. The only egg left in the incubator is the nail polish one.

Back
Top Bottom