Mystery Eggs - Broody Hatch-A-Long

031C902D-65F1-4396-BA83-26EA04A8D1C8.jpeg

So, I’m going to be candling her eggs tonight but when she was up today, I checked her eggs to make sure nobody made a deposit but I noticed a smell. It wasn’t a rotten smell, but it wasn’t pleasant. I know she had gotten some poop on the eggs, so I hope it was just that. Hopefully they’re all still good. It would suck if she made it this far just to lose them all.

View attachment 2727759

Mine are due at the end of the month, 27th? I had to pull one recently. Some are from a health food store fridge, but the farm is about 20 min. from my house, and some are from a farm one mile from my house. I have not hatched from either farm before.

One egg was removed, a tan one...oh yes and the dark one is from my hens.
Miss Prissy’s eggs are supposed to hatch the 25th. I got all her eggs from a friend because I didn’t have any of my roosters in with the hens at the time. I honestly don’t know all of the types of chickens my friend has, but I know she has some silkies and was working on breeding showgirl silkies.

Okay, so: I candled them. All look alive, but there’s one that’s real iffy. There’s something in it but it looks like it stopped developing at some point.

Anyways, there was another egg that looked like the chick was already in the air cell even though this near the end of day 18. Is that something I should be worried about?

I wanted to take pictures, but Miss Prissy was especially fussy about me messing with the eggs tonight and she was getting a little bitty, so I tried to do it as fast as I could.

7BF8927D-D937-42A4-84A9-AFE21107C6D9.jpeg
9C315C1F-7A40-48B6-88CB-66ED984D3D02.jpeg

Okay, so: I candled them. All look alive, but there’s one that’s real iffy. There’s something in it but it looks like it stopped developing at some point.

Anyways, there was another egg that looked like the chick was already in the air cell even though this near the end of day 18. Is that something I should be worried about?

I wanted to take pictures, but Miss Prissy was especially fussy about me messing with the eggs tonight and she was getting a little bitty, so I tried to do it as fast as I could.

View attachment 2730916View attachment 2730918

Sometimes bantam breeds hatch early. Nothing really to be worried about! Fingers crossed all goes well with her hatch!

Sometimes bantam breeds hatch early. Nothing really to be worried about! Fingers crossed all goes well with her hatch!
Okay, lol. I wasn’t sure if she’d abandoned the rest of the eggs if one of the chicks hatched this early. I don’t know if the rest are bantams or bantam crosses. My friend got eggs from her own chickens ( which IIRC are mostly silkies, a leghorn & a red hen ) & her mom. Her mom has a bit of everything. I know I only have one white egg, so that’s the leghorn.

Another question: do you think it’d be worth it to risk putting the cracked/nail polish egg back under her? I just candled it and it’s still alive.

Okay, lol. I wasn’t sure if she’d abandoned the rest of the eggs if one of the chicks hatched this early. I don’t know if the rest are bantams or bantam crosses. My friend got eggs from her own chickens ( which IIRC are mostly silkies, a leghorn & a red hen ) & her mom. Her mom has a bit of everything. I know I only have one white egg, so that’s the leghorn.

Another question: do you think it’d be worth it to risk putting the cracked/nail polish egg back under her? I just candled it and it’s still alive.

Every hen is different so it's hard to say what she will do. Some hens will leave before all chicks finish hatching, it's always a possibility and why I like to have an incubator on standby just in case but many hens will wait a few days for the chicks to hatch.

It should be ok to put the nail polish egg back under her but even with nail polish the shell may be slightly compromised to have the hen on it may complicate things but that depends on how severe the crack was.

Back
Top Bottom