Okay, I guess it’s wait and see. Do you think I should I continue to give her the calcium citrate for several weeks if I don’t have evidence that she’s laying?

Good Morning- thank you for replying. I just wormed them last month so I don’t think it’s worms, but I will get a fecal test to make sure. It certainly won’t hurt to rule it out. They do free range on an acre+ so it’s not out the realm of possibility. She’s been on calcium citrate since Monday and hasn’t laid another egg. She appears to feel fine and is eating and moving a little more than usual, which is good. Do you know which people in particular I should tag? Though I’ve read many, many threads over the past months, I don’t know specific people to ask. I really appreciate everyone’s replies. Without a local poultry doctor, this website has been a real godsend.

I don’t know specific people to ask.
go through the forums and find the ones that are giving very informed answers, they are often able to at least make informed suggestions.

By the way, I read something about liquid in lungs and also about a ruptured air sac. I don't know anything about them, but you might want to search such terms in the engine, or maybe just breathing issues. It might bring you to a similar issue

and.. don't forget to just enjoy each other's company. These babies are not the kind to live to be 100... so make their short lives happy with you and for you too. You'll have nice memories when her time does come. (not for a long time! )

I find that the memories of getting to know them as individuals are the nicest when their time does come. I love figuring out their favorite treats and beloved activities.

Last edited:
I know your pain... we try to do everything so that at least there is less guilt if we do lose them, but maximum cuddles until we do.

I hope you are otherwise well, and enjoying the early summer.

My girls are very happy to see an end to that snow that covered up all the greens and bugs. Now I have to mend some fences so that they can wander a little more. They find any weaknesses in my fences and tend to run right into the forest when they have a chance. I chase after them telling them about how Little-Red-Riding-Hood regretted chasing bugs in the forest, Hansel & Grettle did not enjoy the wet-mash the evil witch made for them (even if it did have bugs in it), and any other tale that might warn them of bad consequences of running off, but they have quick legs and no fear. (they take after my spouse, he is fearless)

I hope you see her recover from this mystery of hers.

I wish I had more help to offer you, but I am here if you need someone to read you and encourage you.

I send you all the unconditional love that you shower on them, and keep you in my prayers.

💞

Last edited:
Another two eggs showed up in the droppings today and yesterday. The pics are of the same one from different angles. The other one got mixed into some bedding so not very photographic. I found this one after work today so it’s been drying out under the roosting bars. Sussy is behaving about the same, but a bit less active this past month. The weather is heating up into the mid 70’s and she’s never very active in the heat. Eats fine, drinks water. Should I start giving her more calcium again? I don’t see any egg white with them. You can see the shell, definitely thin. Ideas?

Attachments

• 8D5B8EED-60F3-4AD5-8F5B-776C5C584DAA.jpeg
    8D5B8EED-60F3-4AD5-8F5B-776C5C584DAA.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 2
  • D7AA70F2-499A-46B4-B8B1-0A40D749ECCA.jpeg
    D7AA70F2-499A-46B4-B8B1-0A40D749ECCA.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom