Mystery Leg/Foot injury

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I have a 1 + yr old sex link hen who will not put weight on her left foot. This started sometime yesterday. When I got home last night, I noticed she was not on the roost and I just left her be. Today, she did make her way out of the coop and was limping. She otherwise will not walk. She has been sitting all day. I got back from work and after thorough exam, I find absolutely no sign of injury, no swelling and she is not making any reactions when I flex, move or otherwise touch and push around her toes, foot, leg and hip. I brought her in the house for examination and that is how I determined its her left foot/leg. She can put weight as normal on the right foot. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.

For now, I put her by the water outside in shade, and set up an small feeder I had so she doesn't have to go anywhere to eat/drink. I have to head out back to work for the night, but she is secure in the chicken run. I won't be home til after 2am likely, so will be interesting to see if she makes her way into the coop.

Any ideas? thanks. (I'll check back late tonight or tomorrow) And no pics, as there isn't anything to share in regard to injury/swollen etc.

Is there any stiffness when flexing the "elbow" of her leg? feel her hocks, it may be a misplaced tendon. If so, you should be able to pop it back into place. For pain reduction, get some ginger root and some green tea leaves (the stuff inside teabags works fine). Boil them, then make them into a mash, I use a blender. then, get a clean cloth/guaze and spread the mash on part of the cloth. wrap the leg and finish the job with some medical tape to hold the wrap in place. Leave that on for 10 minutes, too long and the stuff may do more harm than help. This is what I do for my crippled roo on his more painful days. The result, at least for my Forest, is almost instant.

Is there any stiffness when flexing the "elbow" of her leg? feel her hocks, it may be a misplaced tendon. If so, you should be able to pop it back into place. For pain reduction, get some ginger root and some green tea leaves (the stuff inside teabags works fine). Boil them, then make them into a mash, I use a blender. then, get a clean cloth/guaze and spread the mash on part of the cloth. wrap the leg and finish the job with some medical tape to hold the wrap in place. Leave that on for 10 minutes, too long and the stuff may do more harm than help. This is what I do for my crippled roo on his more painful days. The result, at least for my Forest, is almost instant.
I have a feeling this is it. It does feel a bit out and after rubbing it, trying to straighten it back, she does put a bit of weight on it. I am in the process of making her a chicken seat/sling.

thank you!

btw, it doesn't seem too stiff when trying to flex it, it may not be totally out, maybe just sprained? How would I know if it's a broken bone? I guess that would be more obvious.

btw, it doesn't seem too stiff when trying to flex it, it may not be totally out, maybe just sprained? How would I know if it's a broken bone? I guess that would be more obvious.
Ehhhh... I have never experianced a broken bone... however, according to https://bestfarmanimals.com/broken-chicken-leg-lame-how-splint-treat-part-2-of-3/. the bird would be unable to put any weight on the injury. Also, the leg may bend in an unnatural place. As for the sling, great idea!

Back
Top Bottom