Injury Help Needed! Ankle & Heel or Leg & Knee

Salsa Chicken Momma

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Sorry in advance, I wanted to give as much detail as possible
it's now been 15 days since the onset of injury to one of my sweet Mystics. First signs & symptoms appeared to be bumble foot, not putting weight on the foot and holding it near her body (I'm a new chicken momma, so bumble was my first thought). But after a thorough examination, there was nothing presenting as a foot problem. She remained calm as usual as I moved around each toe digit, reflexes were good. She did have a small cluster of feathers on her outside #4 toe that seemed oddly stuck, so we carefully snipped them and again, nothing presented for an injury or infection. Moving up the scales of the leg, everything normal, no signs of any issues. Ankle & Heel movement was good, not feeling anything crunchy or out of place. Continuing to move up the leg the tib/fib seemed good as well nothing crunchy there either. We left for a fishing tournament feeling like she may have just overextended to stained something. Day 3 come home to find she was not able to really walk, did another thorough examination to find her guarding her upper leg. We splinted her leg, set her up in an isolation cage with food & water but still in the run with the rest of the girls. Decent Bowel movements each day, eating okay but not drinking water. We added a few extra treats to help get a little water into her as well as cool her from the heat, frozen watermelon chunks. Day 5 she was standing and trying to walk with her peg leg and on day 8, we unveiled the leg. Her leg appeared to be perfectly fine however, presented with what appeared to be a broken foot, toe, knuckle, or something of the nature. Change of plans, we now went to a shoe splint thanks to BYC! Day 9 I let her out into the run while the other girls free ranged & she immediately went for the watering can before I set her down... maybe she forgot how to drink from her baby gravity saucer? Day 13 came home to find she pulled the splint off, along with some foot feathers, so I felt that was my sign that she was "over it". Bad news, the foot hasn't gotten any better & I'm at a loss for what to do. Unfortunately, we do not have any vets in the area that see poultry and was offered some sad info from a local vet, saying most people with chickens just end the suffering...I'm not okay with that and I'm not ready to give up on her. She's trying her dangdest to get around when I let her out, but it's terribly heartbreaking to watch. She's also now crossing the good foot across the bad, is assume to compensate as much as possible Please help, the attachments at from today

Attachments

• 20230728_174435.jpg
    20230728_174435.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 20230728_174443.jpg
    20230728_174443.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 22
  • VideoCapture_20230728-185933.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230728-185933.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 23
What exactly have you been feeding?
Did you buy all of your birds from the same place at the same time or have you recently added birds to your flock?

Have you heard of Marek's disease?

What exactly have you been feeding?
Did you buy all of your birds from the same place at the same time or have you recently added birds to your flock?

Have you heard of Marek's disease?
@Kiki We buy our feed from the local Family, Farm & Home, they we're fully transitioned to adult food the first week of July. We mix layer pellets with layer scratch grains + Omegas. Treats are limited to fresh cilantro, parsley, radish, frozen watermelon & pineapple (very limited, Scapa from home).

All girls eat the same feed & water. All new girls came at the same time from the same hatchery. Integrating the new clock of 16 to the existing 2 ol girls went well, as the run was partitioned with chicken wire and they were accustomed to seeing and heading each other.

I've read a little on Marek's but it doesn't seem like it fits this situation...?

Last edited:
I'm going through something similar, mine has been in a sectioned off area in the run, leg and foot injuries take a long time to heal. I let mine free range thinking she knows her limits, but she overdid it and was in pain again... Hardly ate until it healed up a bit. She's also molting. I'm going to be keeping her in the smaller enclosure for awhile.

I'm going through something similar, mine has been in a sectioned off area in the run, leg and foot injuries take a long time to heal. I let mine free range thinking she knows her limits, but she overdid it and was in pain again... Hardly ate until it healed up a bit. She's also molting. I'm going to be keeping her in the smaller enclosure for awhile.
@SmiYa0126 Sorry to here you're going through a similar bout. Best of luck, sending my love & best wishes to you both!

Quick update: She's on the mend... it'll be a long, slower than I'd like process, but she wants to be "one of the girls" and is one tough chick!. She's getting herself in/out of the coop each day & night, still getting supplemental/ Extra protein & time with mom each evening. She actually looks like she's walking, with a wobble of course but it's progress :love

We're enjoying Some free range time on a perfect summer evening, when humidity is under 60% yay!

Attachments

• 20230801_193755.jpg
    20230801_193755.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom