Mystery Murderer *Photo of Deceased Body Included*

13downto12

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
This morning, I let the chickens out of their coop, into their run, and all twelve were healthy and in stable condition.

This evening, when I went to put the chickens back in the coop, I found one chick dead and decapitated.

My run is made of 1/4" hardware cloth all the way round, with a metal, attached roof; the bottom is wired as well. Nothing was left open, there were no gaps or holes at all, and the body was in the center of the run.

This is the weird part: there was NO blood anywhere, no other injuries to the body, and NO signs of an attack, as if the head just magically came off. The head is GONE.

What could have happened? They were all fine this morning, so the attack must have occurred during the day. What would have fit through 1/4" made a clean removal of only the head, without blood or feathers, or any other signs of attack or injury to the body or the run? I doubt something could have reached in given the wire size and that the body was in the middle of the run. What was brazen enough to attack with a rooster on guard and a dozen chickens in the middle of the day?

What can I do to protect the rest of my flock?

For reference I am in S. California.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 53
Thank you @All4Eggz and @Chookwagn !

I had no idea a ferret would attack during the day, the only thing I found was that the bottom is done with normal chicken wire, so the gaps are a bit thicker there, but there were no holes in the dirt that could have signified it digging in. I will have to check again in the morning when it is brighter. Thanks again!

Thank you @All4Eggz and @Chookwagn !

I had no idea a ferret would attack during the day, the only thing I found was that the bottom is done with normal chicken wire, so the gaps are a bit thicker there, but there were no holes in the dirt that could have signified it digging in. I will have to check again in the morning when it is brighter. Thanks again!
Weasels are smaller than 1" chicken wire.They're tiny. It takes 1/2" or smaller hardware cloth to keep them out.I buried it a foot to prevent them digging underneath my coop & run. Anyplace you have chicken wire should be upgraded .

Weasels are smaller than 1" chicken wire.They're tiny. It takes 1/2" or smaller hardware cloth to keep them out.I buried it a foot to prevent them digging underneath my coop & run. Anyplace you have chicken wire should be upgraded .
I have my chicken wire buried, and saw no signs of digging, but I suppose I will have to get to replacing it with the same 1/4" hardware cloth right away. I didn't know the buggers could squeeze through 3/4" so easily. Seems like I will have to follow your lead, and upgrade the entire area for them, thank you!

I have my chicken wire buried, and saw no signs of digging, but I suppose I will have to get to replacing it with the same 1/4" hardware cloth right away. I didn't know the buggers could squeeze through 3/4" so easily. Seems like I will have to follow your lead, and upgrade the entire area for them, thank you!
Occasionally I'll find a hole where somethings tried to dig under my run but the 1/2" hardware cloth apron stopped them. I'm sorry something killed your chick & happy to hear the others are ok. You may have a raccoon .They'll pull a chickens heads off by reaching thru the wire.They have little paws but are strong. It makes sense why the rest are okay. Replacing that wire will prevent coons from being able to do this. I'm sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom