Mystery of the Broody turkey hen

roamingchick

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2014
Steuben County NY
My turkey hen went Broody just outside my barn. We live in upstate ny near PA border.
A few days into sitting she disappeared along with all 13 eggs she was sitting on. No sign of struggle or any broken eggs. What would have taken her and the eggs???
Without leaving a trace our sign of struggle?

I truly hope not!!
I am just baffled for another answer. I secretly hope that my broody turkey hen will return even without the eggs!!
Her eggs was due to hatch next week.
But I can't see a turkey hen moving all her eggs and leaving the fake one only with no trace Of her or eggs no shell or broken eggs.
I have had both raccoons and skunks completely clean out a nest without leaving any traces. They eat shells and all. On such occasions the hens fled the nests. At this time of year it is not uncommon for a stray turkey hen to show up here for no apparent reason. My best guess is that they have lost their nest to weather conditions or to predators.

It is possible that your hen fled from such a predator. Turkeys fleeing in the middle of the night can often get disoriented and fail to return to where they belong. They can also flee right into another predator.

This year I did have a hen completely relocate her nest but the distance from the old nest to the new nest was only 2'.

Hope your hen comes home unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom