Emily02037aj

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2015
Hello! I got heritage turkey hen whos being VERY domineering to me. I've done a lot of things but this is the second time she's actively went for my face, I like to think I understand turkey body language and behavior as far as my hens go; but I don't know what she wants:barnie

for history she was abandoned and someone left an ad on Facebook/Meta about her, she was in mint condition besides a few broken feathers and clipped wings I believe? (someone really didn't like her I guess and wanted to make her struggle possibly?) she was perfectly fine, not aggressive and very sweet but the longer she stays with us the angrier she gets with me. I treat her the same as my other hens, I talk to them, chirp, etc. maybe it's that that's making her hate me? I don't know.

I've tried lots of things in order to domineer her back but she's stubborn as a turkey (haha). But hoping for more advice 🫶!

Example1 Example2
update: (^^she doesn't do these anymore. She puffs up (not strut) and beep'bebebes in my face. making a happy/talking noises (even though it's out of aggression))

update 2: She seems to have backed up since putting her on her side beside me and holding her legs in-between my fingers, almost on her back but made sure she could breathe and if she was panicking she could get out of my grip. Obviously right now she seems more.. Weary of me? I don't know help! (I will add more videos of her behavior so I don't need to explain as much haha.)

The hen was obviously imprinted by people. It cannot understand that people are not turkeys. It is not mad at you. It is trying to replace you as the dominant member of the flock. It has been challenging you.

Even when you temporarily cause submission by her, it will only be temporary. In the future be wary of attacks from behind which is what they resort to when frontal attacks fail.

Personally I would invite her to dinner as the guest of honor.

The hen was obviously imprinted by people. It cannot understand that people are not turkeys. It is not mad at you. It is trying to replace you as the dominant member of the flock. It has been challenging you.

Even when you temporarily cause submission by her, it will only be temporary. In the future be wary of attacks from behind which is what they resort to when frontal attacks fail.

Personally I would invite her to dinner as the guest of honor.
Thanks Elk! Im pretty good with watching my back with her since she's not the quiet-est turkey haha!

Back
Top Bottom