Mystery Peacock, anyone know what kind he is?

Wow Aquaeyes thank you for explaining how the genes work. I think I'm kinda understanding it now. The 2 peahens I brought home looked exactly like the one I already had so I think they are regular IB since the pictures of the blackshoulder peahens I've found online show them being white with tan on them. Here's a picture of what the peahens look like. I'm not sure which one laid which egg so the 2 babies may be only half siblings. I'm not sure the white is a female but she has shorter legs so I was assuming she was. She is about an inch shorter than he is.

ColbyNTX your pair is beautiful. I wonder why mine doesn't have that much color yet? He will be a year old at the end of July. Is it maybe because he is mixed with the IB peahen do you think? Will he look like a regular blackshoulder when he gets older?

88718_cut_2.jpg

His sister is pure white, I don't see any tan on her.

88718_cut.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow maybe Iw aswrong. I thought for sure that is what it was. But your has alot more blue and black. Maybe it is a BS peahen or something?

it actually looks like a BS hen to me.

here is a young pair of BS, they were approx 6 months old in this photo. Boy on the left, girl on the right.

31148_dsc_0263wm.jpg

31148_dsc_0265wm.jpg

in this one the boy is at the top, girl below.
31148_dsc_0281wm.jpg

On the white one, it is really difficult to determine gender (without a DNA test) before a year old, did you have that testing done to know for sure it's a girl? Maybe someone more versed in whites could weigh in for you. We have one white peahen and it took quite a while to know for sure it was a girl bc we didn't do testing.

Ahhh, I was told by a friend who came to see him that since he had the long redish brown wing feathers on the bottom of his wings and some greenish iridescent feathers starting to poke through on his tail that it was a boy. Do the peahens have those long red brown wing feathers also? Guess I better start calling him a her
sad.png
. The white one has shorter legs so my friend said it is probably a girl. I'm just guessing since I'm new at peafowl.

Quote:
Yes blackshoulder peahen have those colors........and your white could also be a BS ,just mask by the white. Yearling BS males will be darker than the hens. That is a blue BS also.

Quote:
Yes blackshoulder peahen have those colors........and your white could also be a BS ,just mask by the white. Yearling BS males will be darker than the hens. That is a blue BS also.

How can you tell the difference between different colors with the black shoulder patter on a hen? How do you know it is an IB?

Quote:

How can you tell the difference between different colors with the black shoulder patter on a hen? How do you know it is an IB?

Can be hard on some.

1. blues with have black specks
2. cameo , peach , purple will have brown specks purples will have a few color feathers in their neck, cameo and peach, no blue/green feathers in their neck.
3. now opal , charcoal silver color specks.

few other ways like bronzes and others....

Quote:

Can be hard on some.

1. blues with have black specks
2. cameo , peach , purple will have brown specks purples will have a few color feathers in their neck, cameo and peach, no blue/green feathers in their neck.
3. now opal , charcoal silver color specks.

few other ways like bronzes and others....

Thanks

Quote:
hey my friends, that blackshoulder hen you got is a Siepel Bs also. Not sure it may have been one of mine, not sure who got her. Note her chest feathers.

Back
Top Bottom