Mystery Predator

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Hey peeps. More bad news on my end:( We found our Silkie - Naked Neck Cross pullet dead in our field today. We where away all day, so I don't know when/how it happened. All I know is that it was a predator, bc the body is torn open, and surrounded by feathers. There isn't much blood, and it doesn't look like the predator ate much at all. I know it couldn't be our dogs, bc one was with us all day, and the other cannot get into our chicken enclosure. Even if she did, she shows no interest in our flock whatsoever. Anyways, the chicken body has a 4 inch x 4 inch hole torn in her side. You can see right in, and her organs are fairly intact, except for a few intestines that where found about 2 feet away from the body. What is weird to me is that the predator had time to open the body, and get lots of feathers off, but barely ate any, just some skin. The predator also did not take the body away to eat, like all the other previous predators have. And, it caught the chicken w/o much struggle bc the feathers are all right close to the body, and there isn't a trail of blood all over the field. I am freaking out because we leave tomorrow night on a trip for 11 days. We have goats, chickens, a broody who's eggs will hatch any day, bunnies, a new litter of bunnies, etc. Here is a list of all the known predators around our yard.
Bobcat
Hawk
Bear (They usually don't show up till fall)
Mountain Lion (rare, there have only been sightings)
Mink
Raccoon
Skunk
Coyote
Owl
Roosters (he hasn't done anything like this before. Only 1 rooster had contact with this pullet)
Fox (May or may not live around here)
Neighborhood dogs
Cat???

The predator came back last night and moved the body about 5 feet. It didn't seem to eat anymore of the body though. Do you think it will continue to come back and kill chickens?

Back
Top Bottom