Mystery Sneezing

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I have a mixed bantam flock of many ages including 9 week olds.

Quite a few have been sneezing on and off. Not prolifically but noticeably.

I don't think it's dust, it's not dusty here. Or allergies as it's not pollen season and there is nothing new in their environment.

I don't think it's bird flu/serious respiratory disease becuase they are all fit and well. No deaths. No runny nose or eyes, no lethargy (save for one polish who weirdly dozes off a lot), all eating and drinking well.

Just the sneezing.

I might be wrong in my assumptions of course.

Any ideas?

I have a mixed bantam flock of many ages including 9 week olds.

Quite a few have been sneezing on and off. Not prolifically but noticeably.

I don't think it's dust, it's not dusty here. Or allergies as it's not pollen season and there is nothing new in their environment.

I don't think it's bird flu/serious respiratory disease becuase they are all fit and well. No deaths. No runny nose or eyes, no lethargy (save for one polish who weirdly dozes off a lot), all eating and drinking well.

Just the sneezing.

I might be wrong in my assumptions of course.

Any ideas?
You could try applying some VetRX under their wings and a dab near their nostril. That's basically Vicks for chickens. It might help.

It could be there is something where they are most often that you may not be noticing. Even something as silly as if you had cologne on and then left your coat in the coop (just an example of something I heard once.) ☺️

Ours free-range and there's all kinds of stuff here including farmers harvesting fields of corn, alfalfa, etc., but no chickens are sneezing.

To be on the safe side, I would give them vitamin water every other day for a week or two in case they are actually catching something. We use either Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply @Debbie292d . I'm rural so there is always something going on in the neighbouring fields and it's harvest time, so maybe you are right.

Will regular Vicks do? I've got some of that!

Good call re vitamins, it surely won't do any harm.

Thanks for the reply @Debbie292d . I'm rural so there is always something going on in the neighbouring fields and it's harvest time, so maybe you are right.

Will regular Vicks do? I've got some of that!

Good call re vitamins, it surely won't do any harm.
You're very welcome!

You could use a really fine smear of Vicks, but I think the VetRX is nice because it's more fluid.

Yes, I give vitamins every so often, whether I think they need them or not. Like you said, it won't do any harm. It could help them get over something they are fighting.

Back
Top Bottom