Mystery weakness in 4 y/o black Australorp hen

genesis1981

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Of my small flock I have two black Australorp girls that are 4 years old. They both molted this fall after it was cold but one of them had a particularly hard molt. She’s never lost so many feathers or taken so long to feather back out. Well it almost seems she never recovered whereas her australorp buddy made a full recovery and is doing just fine.
Her comb is pale, I sometimes find her sitting quietly during free range time instead of scratching with the other girls, if she jumps down from something she often falls or rolls like her feet are giving out. She is still roosting, still eating her organic scratch and peck feed, still wants treats, but she has lost weight, is completely docile (used to be sassy to the extreme fluffing out feathers and crowing when picked up), and she just looks and feels small and weak. No laying on her side or any of those flags. I see no signs of mites no bumble foot and NONE of my other chickens have these symptoms. I’ve upped her protein treats. Scrambled egg with oregano and plenty of mealworms daily. I just got some fresh electrolyte packets so I was going to try those tomorrow. Should I stop offering her other treats like fruit and veggies? This has been going on since the fall since her molt but in the last month is when she really seems to have gotten weaker. I assume there’s a connection with her situation when trying to make new feathers. What can I do for her? I don’t have a chicken vet I’ve always been able to take care of injuries myself. I don’t want to isolate her because she really loves her fellow hens and they aren’t showing any signs of illness. You can’t tell much from pics of her but I’m adding one just to show how much paper her comb is. 😔 she is all the way on the left.

Attachments

• 3F286846-AEB6-4CAA-BD7F-BC2A4AF5A74A.jpeg
    3F286846-AEB6-4CAA-BD7F-BC2A4AF5A74A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
She is still roosting, still eating her organic scratch and peck feed, still wants treats, but she has lost weight, is completely docile (used to be sassy to the extreme fluffing out feathers and crowing when picked up), and she just looks and feels small and weak.

I’ve upped her protein treats. Scrambled egg with oregano and plenty of mealworms daily. I just got some fresh electrolyte packets so I was going to try those tomorrow. Should I stop offering her other treats like fruit and veggies? This has been going on since the fall since her molt but in the last month is when she really seems to have gotten weaker.
I'd focus on her eating her normal feed, the egg is fine. Limit all the other goodies though. Vitamins every few days wouldn't hurt.
Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Re-look her over for lice/mites.
If you can get a fecal float to rule out worms, that would be good.

Some hens have a hard time with molt. She may also be having some reproductive issue and is struggling to come back into lay.

Get a weight on her so you know how much she's gaining/losing.

I will weigh her that’s a good idea. But I do feel she’s not lost more since the initial loss a couple months ago. I’ll eliminate the other treats as well. Crop has been emptying. I am just so stumped. None of my hens are laying. They generally always stop once it gets cold and don’t start again til it’s in the 60s. I’ve never tried adding heat.

I will weigh her that’s a good idea. But I do feel she’s not lost more since the initial loss a couple months ago. I’ll eliminate the other treats as well. Crop has been emptying. I am just so stumped. None of my hens are laying. They generally always stop once it gets cold and don’t start again til it’s in the 60s. I’ve never tried adding heat.
She may brighten back up when the days get longer and the temperatures rise.

My older girls usually take a winter break too, depends on age/breed for me. I have a few fall pullets that are just now coming into lay, it's still fun to find those first "small" pullet eggs, never gets old!

When she's in this state, only feed her high protein feed and treats. Her body is trying to transition back to her normal self. Do not give her layer feed.

When she's in this state, only feed her high protein feed and treats. Her body is trying to transition back to her normal self. Do not give her layer feed.
So you suggest switching to broiler feed during this time? I’ve never done it before.

I'd focus on her eating her normal feed, the egg is fine. Limit all the other goodies though. Vitamins every few days wouldn't hurt.
Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Re-look her over for lice/mites.
If you can get a fecal float to rule out worms, that would be good.

Some hens have a hard time with molt. She may also be having some reproductive issue and is struggling to come back into lay.

Get a weight on her so you know how much she's gaining/losing.
Do you also recommend the higher protein feed for meat birds over the winter?

I’d love a brand recommendation. I’ve always used scratch and peck and I don’t think they make anything higher protein than layer. I see grower and starter feeds.

Do you also recommend the higher protein feed for meat birds over the winter?
I normally feed an flock feed an 18-20% protein all flock type feed year round (depends on what is available in my area!) so I don't normally offer much extra protein to my birds during molt.
If I have one this is struggling with molt, isn't eating well, etc. then I may make her a mash of her normal feed using buttermilk. Of course, you have to make enough for everyone, they are spoiled:) I might direct dose with poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell as well.
A treat of eggs for everyone if I have enough to cook up.
So, no, for me, I don't normally buy a different type of feed for my molting birds.

Back
Top Bottom