NAIS/Premise ID and buying from hatcheries

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just came accross my desk and thought it was relivent to this topic.

Don't sign up for animal ID system

Friday, November 7, 2008 9:37 AM PST

People who sign up for the NAIS (National Animal Identification System) - even those who are signed up without their knowledge - may find that they have signed a “no-knock lease” with the USDA. Who, in their right mind, would sign a paper that allows an outsider to enter their private property unannounced to look for infractions of rules that the owner doesn't even know exist? This very well may be the situation for every NAIS participant.

NAIS is enforced by Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. The agency in charge of enforcement is the Investigative and Enforcement Service. They come armed with an arsenal of powerful regulatory ammunition. Penalties for non-compliance range from $50,000 to $500,000 in fines, and up to 10 years in prison. IEA caseload has increased by 51 percent and the dollar value of fines has increased three-fold - in one year. USDA is serious about enforcing its regulations.

The Constitution requires law enforcement agencies to present “probable cause” evidence to a judge who, if convinced, can issue a warrant that authorizes law enforcement officers to enter private property to search and seize evidence of a crime. By signing up for the NAIS, this constitutional protection may be waived, and any hope of due-process forfeited.

NAIS is still said to be voluntary. But when someone signs up, they become subject to all the rules that are already in place, as well as all the rules that will be adopted in the future. Few people have any idea of what the rules are, and no one knows what rules are yet to be adopted.

People who have signed up for the program should get out.

Instructions for withdrawing from NAIS can be found at www.libertyark.net. People who are being coerced to sign up should resist, and send evidence of coercion to their elected representatives. USDA, once a friend of the rancher and farmer, has become an enemy, no longer welcome among the people who earn their living from the soil.

Bert N. Smith

OX Ranch

Ruby Valley, Nevada

Ok, I am totally against NAIS, but, I am curious, what animals will be on this list?

Is this anything like certain breeders of dogs/cats that tell you that you aren't allowed to buy a puppy or a kitten from them (if you don't get the animal fixed), you actually have to sign paperwork stating that you will have the animal fixed so no breeding will occur (especially to another breed to make those "Designer Breeds")?

Papillon dog breeders I've seen have this, I know there are others.

Will rabbits and guinea pigs be on this list?
What about all the city folk who buy these animals from a pet store and were told the rabbits or guinea pigs they bought were both boys or both girls, and owners discovered babies?

NAIS is totally stupid !

Oh help us all. I went to the offical site and went to the "Myths and Facts" section. Want some fun quotes?

Q. Why should I register my premises?

A. In an animal health emergency, no one can help you protect your animals if they don't know you are there. The basic contact information provided during premises registration opens the lines of communication between producers and animal health officials. Registering your premises means that you will be alerted quickly when there is a potential disease threat to your animals. You then have the information and assistance you need to take action and protect your animals and your investment.

Wow. It's nice to know that if there is a disease, they will call every single livestock owner! I'm sure that that's the only reason they ask for your information; to protect you and your animals.

Q. Can I discontinue participation in NAIS after I register my premises?

A. NAIS continues to be a voluntary program at the Federal level, and has established a procedure for premises registration removal. Because individual States and Tribes are responsible for registering premises, requests for such a removal must be submitted through your State animal health official or State NAIS administrator, who will decide whether to authorize the request.

Interesting. It's voluntary to enroll, but you might not be able to get out of it. Huh.

The bottom line is that the usda does not think that farmers are informed. The small number of people enrolled (less than half an million) shows that farmer are indeed informed.

As a side note, don't you love how condescending Washington state is about it's bread and butter workers?

The mission of the Animal Identification Program is to:

Assist in the containment of animal diseases in Washington State

Educate the Washington State livestock industry to improve voluntary participation of state and national animal identification systems

hit.gif

It shouldn't be like this. When it's too late, people will realize that.

Is there any way to check their records to see if you've been unknowingly signed up? If I remember correctly, this discussion began by McMurray hatchery saying that they are not a part of NAIS and will not register those who buy from them. What if we bought from a hatchery who registered us without our even knowing? This is just one example of being unknowingly registered, is there any way to find out if we are registered?
idunno.gif

Yes, you need to call your state USDA and find out.. they won't just tell you.. I do know that Ideal and others are NAIS premise IDed.. I know this becuse Ideal e-mailed me and told me.. So if you bought from Ideal.. you need to verify you are not registered.

I will try and get a list of safe hatcheries to buy from and those that have registered thier premise.. however it could take me a while to do so.

There is a form on this thread that tells you how to get out of it.. if you have been put on the USDA premise ID with out your knowlage.. even if you did enroll and now want out.. you can do that.

Gary Fuchs, the President of Ideal Poultry serves as Chairman of the Poultry NAIS committee. Murray McMurray of McMurray Hatchery serves as vice-chairman of this committee.

The Poultry NAIS program is non-existent at this point. There are no requirements at this time and none being worked on. I believe Gary said it's been over 2 years since they have even met.

However, if you or a business you are purchasing from have filled out any government form be it an NPIP registration or another government form, they have your information.

If a hatchery that you are considering buying from is a member of NPIP then they are essentially registered with the government.

Rest assured that Ideal Poultry does not submit sales records to NAIS.

Teri
Ideal Poultry

Last edited:
I agree that those records have been submitted to the USDA however some, like McMurray have also filed to have thier name removed.. Thus telling the USDA they don't appresheate the fact that the voluntary status set by the Fed. government has been superceeded by local agencys.

If Ideal cares about thier customers, they would also file to have thier name taken off the Premise ID list, and I promise you with everything the USDA has promised "We the people" those sales records are and will be added with out premission of the owners to the NAIS Premise ID list.

Ideal Poultry has the exact same stance on NAIS that McMurray has posted on their website. We do not have our stance on our website because we do not believe NAIS is a current issue in the poultry industry.
No one in the poultry industry wants to track every bird. That is why the committee is now a non-functioning committee.

Teri
Ideal Poultry

Ideal DOES have thier premise registerd.. Murray McMurray has refused.. so Ideal does NOT have the same stance on NAIS..

I would be curious to know if Ideal has excepted the "grants" that were offered by the USDA.. either as Ideal, or as the Pountry assn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom