Naked neck chicken sitting on eggs.

chickencrazy21

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 22, 2012
west covina california
on Thursday when i went to put away our chickens i noticed lucky (our naked neck chicken that literally fell from the sky no clue where she came from she just appeared in our front yard when we had four chickens in a cage and my sisters boyfriend caught her and she adopted us basically) anyways she was sitting on the spot where they lay eggs outside of the coop...well its actually a Kong dog crate with a tarp over it but we made the mistake of getting chickens before the coop. but anyways. she hissed and puffed up and i was worried she was sick until i realized she was sitting on eggs. i picked her up put her in the pen collected the eggs and left them to be. the next morning she was fine. when i went to collect eggs at about 3:30 on friday she was sitting in the dog crate with a couple eggs under her. i basically figured what the hell we have a rooster that we have to get rid of (a beautiful Delaware chicken we adopted from the shelter only it was supposed to be a hen but turned out to be a rooster) so i figured id let her sit on them and the other eggs. there were two other eggs laid in another nest so i carefully moved them and stuck them under her. (i have experience with turtle eggs and know about not moving them much becuz of the air pocket thats formed when laid) when i put them to bed that night she had moved all the eggs to the corner of the pen with her in the back of it with them. so this is a new thing to me since we started with chicks from the feed store and bought them all at different stages. i know nothing about what to do and all that. so i have some questions i would love answered im not even sure if i posted in the right section. any help is appreciated. BTW the mom is the one in my profile picture only bigger now

so here are my questions.

the eggs were all laid Friday to my knowledge their is six of them there. they are from seven different hens not including hers...i dont think. when will they hatch.

does she get up to eat and drink off the eggs or do i need to put water and food in the cage with her?

do i just leave her to do the work of the hatching?

how do i know when to expect them or will i just go up and have chicks running around

IF any hatch (i know most are fertile cuz all the hens have feathers missing from the rooster mounting them) do i leave them up with the naked neck to take care of or when there born bring them down and raise them till there big enough to be put up in the pen

i am so excited. i know that i may get no chicks or i may get up to six. i just hope none are roosters cuz it will be hard to get rid of a chick i raised. any advice would be great.

Last edited:
on Thursday when i went to put away our chickens i noticed lucky (our naked neck chicken that literally fell from the sky no clue where she came from she just appeared in our front yard when we had four chickens in a cage and my sisters boyfriend caught her and she adopted us basically) anyways she was sitting on the spot where they lay eggs outside of the coop...well its actually a Kong dog crate with a tarp over it but we made the mistake of getting chickens before the coop. but anyways. she hissed and puffed up and i was worried she was sick until i realized she was sitting on eggs. i picked her up put her in the pen collected the eggs and left them to be. the next morning she was fine. when i went to collect eggs at about 3:30 on friday she was sitting in the dog crate with a couple eggs under her. i basically figured what the hell we have a rooster that we have to get rid of (a beautiful Delaware chicken we adopted from the shelter only it was supposed to be a hen but turned out to be a rooster) so i figured id let her sit on them and the other eggs. there were two other eggs laid in another nest so i carefully moved them and stuck them under her. (i have experience with turtle eggs and know about not moving them much becuz of the air pocket thats formed when laid) when i put them to bed that night she had moved all the eggs to the corner of the pen with her in the back of it with them. so this is a new thing to me since we started with chicks from the feed store and bought them all at different stages. i know nothing about what to do and all that. so i have some questions i would love answered im not even sure if i posted in the right section. any help is appreciated. BTW the mom is the one in my profile picture only bigger now

so here are my questions.

the eggs were all laid Friday to my knowledge their is six of them there. they are from seven different hens not including hers...i dont think. when will they hatch.

does she get up to eat and drink off the eggs or do i need to put water and food in the cage with her?

do i just leave her to do the work of the hatching?

how do i know when to expect them or will i just go up and have chicks running around

IF any hatch (i know most are fertile cuz all the hens have feathers missing from the rooster mounting them) do i leave them up with the naked neck to take care of or when there born bring them down and raise them till there big enough to be put up in the pen

i am so excited. i know that i may get no chicks or i may get up to six. i just hope none are roosters cuz it will be hard to get rid of a chick i raised. any advice would be great.

1) they will hatch in about 21/22 days.

2)she will get off. But watch her cause some r broody really bad and dont get off to eat drink and poo, so just watch her. If she doesn't eat or drink, put it in next to her or force her off for awhile

3) she will do it herself! U mite wanna help if there is something wrong.

4) if the naked neck will take care of them, leave em with her in their own pen till they're bigger ir have them in an artificial brooded and when they're big enough let them be with the others.

Hope this helps! Pm me if u have questions!

thank you so much im so excited at the possibility of my own "mutts" lol we have two Easter egg hens, the naked neck, rhode island red, a leghorn, a red star, an Andalusian and our rooster which is a Delaware so im excited as shes sitting on mix of the eggs. should i be worried that she rolled them to the new spot? or does moving them not matter?

thank you so much im so excited at the possibility of my own "mutts" lol we have two Easter egg hens, the naked neck, rhode island red, a leghorn, a red star, an Andalusian and our rooster which is a Delaware so im excited as shes sitting on mix of the eggs. should i be worried that she rolled them to the new spot? or does moving them not matter?

those will be some awesome looking babies!

I think the eggs will ne ok. My hens do that sometimes and I have bottom good hatches. I am glad that helped. :)

Back
Top Bottom