Naked Neck - neck injury

Buddycat

Songster
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Arizona
Another small chick went across my naked neck chick's neck today & put a big gash in her neck. I doctored her as best as I could but now tonight it looks like the cut has gotten bigger. I don't know what to do for her so any & all help would be greatly appreciated.

Get blue - kote and spray it on her wound. It'll heal. Trust me. I've had far worse happen and blue - kote had saved the day. Let's just say I now have a naked - neck Wyandotte who's happy and thriving after being fileted by a raccoon. (She was NOT a naked - neck before lol).

Get blue - kote and spray it on her wound. It'll heal. Trust me. I've had far worse happen and blue - kote had saved the day. Let's just say I now have a naked - neck Wyandotte who's happy and thriving after being fileted by a raccoon. (She was NOT a naked - neck before lol).

Oh the poor baby! Thank you for the help - I feel so sorry for the little naked girl. Will the blue-kote stain her neck?

She'll be ok! Just like SunnySky I had a horrible neck injury to a hen last spring..... 4 babies turned into roosters and mated the heck outta the poor thing. Only muscle was showing and I could pull the skin out and look Into her body. It was horrible! She lived my bathroom for a good 6 weeks. Every morning I held her neck under warm sink water to soften the tissue. Then I had to take tweezers and pull her skin out so I could reach down with the tweezers and take off the built up dead cells so it could heal. Then I would spray either Schreiners (love this stuff! My mom Swore by it with our horses injuries) or put some Blue on there and then some thick medicated ointment/protectant to keep it from drying out. My hen healed amazingly! Bird skin is just different than other animal skin. Now she has a partial naked neck herself but most of the feathers grew back. Pretty amazing animals!
Blue cote will keep the birds from pecking at any red. Maybe try it on her and see how they do.

BluKote does stain the skin for a month or so. Betadine or iodine would work, and plain Neosporin or Vetericyn wound spray would also be appropriate to use. As long as no flies lay eggs in it, or it gets pecked more, it should close eventually in a few weeks. You could even put a little piece of cloth or gauze around it to camouflage it.

Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas! I'll be getting some blue-kote today. I grew up on a farm but that was a hundred years ago & couldn't remember what we used on boo boo's. Think we had betadine & bag balm.

She'll be ok! Just like SunnySky I had a horrible neck injury to a hen last spring..... 4 babies turned into roosters and mated the heck outta the poor thing. Only muscle was showing and I could pull the skin out and look Into her body. It was horrible! She lived my bathroom for a good 6 weeks. Every morning I held her neck under warm sink water to soften the tissue. Then I had to take tweezers and pull her skin out so I could reach down with the tweezers and take off the built up dead cells so it could heal. Then I would spray either Schreiners (love this stuff! My mom Swore by it with our horses injuries) or put some Blue on there and then some thick medicated ointment/protectant to keep it from drying out. My hen healed amazingly! Bird skin is just different than other animal skin. Now she has a partial naked neck herself but most of the feathers grew back. Pretty amazing animals!
Blue cote will keep the birds from pecking at any red. Maybe try it on her and see how they do.

OMG that's horrible! This is way minor compared to that but it's always a big trauma when it's something to do with your own girls!

Oh the poor baby! Thank you for the help - I feel so sorry for the little naked girl. Will the blue-kote stain her neck?

Nope it won't stain her neck or feathers. It'll turn it blue/purple, yes, but it's temporary. Now, it WILL stain your clothes so watch out. I'll see if I can get a picture of my girl today and post it. She looks quite silly. I hope your little one is doing better today!!

Got the blue-kote & put it on her - looks like it's gonna heal pretty good. Thanks everyone for the help!

My naked neck was attacked my out rooster today and took about a quarter size of skin from the back of her neck. Not actively bleeding. I cleaned it with a wet towel as best I could tonight and outback bacitracin on it right now, she is in a cat carrier in our bathroom. She is only 12 weeks. What would you recommend for healing the quickest? Will an area with skin removed heal?

Back
Top Bottom