Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I thought a guinea/chicken mix was pretty cute...until I researched them. I discovered that they have short life spans and are generally unhealthy.
Sometimes it is best to think of the quality of life that the animal will have prior to breeding for a trendy or unusual trait.

These are some of my NN from years back. I'm hoping to get back into NNs soon.

Attachments

• Aug31 2011 NNs.jpeg
    Aug31 2011 NNs.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Aug31 2011 NNs2.jpeg
    Aug31 2011 NNs2.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9
I mean this politely and only to be clear: I'm not torturing my roosters. I take my animal welfare very seriously. Crow collars are not painful, they are non-surgical, they are reversible. They do not impede normal behaviors or affect them psychologically. It just dampens their volume, no more no less, and the use of crow collars as a result opens up many homes to roosters that would otherwise be butchered (that's not always the desired outcome, not damning those who butcher excess roosters) or worse, dumped or otherwise abused. That is a worthwhile gain for something as simple as some boys wearing velcro necklaces. Noise ordinance based rooster control is generally reasonable after all. That is what my situation is, and thanks to the collars I know my roosters are within the letter of our law (noise is a reasonable volume and does not occur for more than 10 mins at one time.)

I am lucky that so far all the trouble my chickens have earned me is neighbors also getting chickens. Little paranoid about disease! I can't say I know their vac regimen and health history you know???

I am currently worming my flock, but I am positive Werewolf just has a case of teenage gangliness. He isn't skinny at all, he just isn't a chicken adonis like his brother haha.
I know that this is an old post but if you are still on here and still have your roo. Could you post a pic of it with its collar on? I'm in the same predicament as you were in. I'm in an area where Roos aren't allowed and would like to try an anti-crow collar before I need to get rid of him. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom