Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    [​IMG]

THIS IS VERY SPECIAL charming.

1 person likes this.
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    That gosling is a delight......and the unconventional friendships are SO good to see.

I'm currently integrating a new kitten with my menagerie.......she seems a bit 'shell shocked' by the number and variety of animals she will have to get on with. The biggest challenge seems to be the elderly semi-feral cat I inherited on coming here.....Minnie (feral cat) is terrified of the kitten.

I hope that the chicks don't try to follow the goslings into water. I've seen a hen momma with ducklings she had hatched become frantic when 'her' brood made a break for the garden pond. All part of life's rich pageant!

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hi guys - had a question about NN and electric fencing/wires. We've had all the chickens confined to coop/run for a few weeks due to fox attacks and now we are trying to fence in a large area for them to roam in.

For cost purposes, we are trying out four wires around their usual ranging area. Regular chickens in past trials don't seem overly bothered with the shocks due to the feather protection (+ they are rather large and chubby chickens), but the spacing on this wire is such that a NN could EASILY stick her bare neck between two wires. Will this seriously injure them? Will we need to add a barrier fence between them and the wiring? (DH thinks I am being a worrywart, just so you know - I am hoping he is right!)

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thank you so much! The red is one of my favourites as well. All keepers! Especially if they are girls

So this is the rooster I should keep/use? :)

He's the most naked for sure. When I first saw him I was worried (never had NN before) because I thought NN were only naked on the neck. He has a naked belly, butt and two strips down his back lol. I find it really cool that with all that nakedness, they are still cold hardy!

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I currently have a rooster that thinks he's a duck. Will stand with his girls (2 khaki campbells and 1 muscovy hen) out in the pouring rain - looking like a drowned rat. He will stand by the pool when they swim, but won't go in (thank god!) The chicks don't follwing the goslings in water. I had the two of them with the chicks until week 2 when the mess was too much. The NN still love those two like they are part of the flock! It's really cute. [​IMG] Here is their first trip outdoors. The goslings stayed very close to their chicken buddies. [​IMG] :love - a couple of days old - best friends :p

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    My lavender is not a beauty...he also has the frizzle gene which doesn't thrill me either. I'm finding that the frizzles look terrible when in with a rooster, which of course, I have. You're welcome to him.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.

I'm overrun with gophers, squirrels and rabbits. I'm considering getting a couple of semi feral cats. My only concern is that the cats would want to go after any young chickens (I have my chicks under broodies) and my bantams (when I occasionally free range). How do you train a cat to leave them alone?

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.

I don't know how high you have it on, but you could turn it down so that the NN's will feel it a little and know to stay away. Of course, turn it back up in the evening.
    I don't know how well chickens will respond, never having used it with chickens. Dogs and horses need to touch their nose to it once or twice on low and they learn to keep away.

I suppose if turned up high enough it could seriously injure a chicken. I know that hot wires will kill birds that land on them.

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    KKH....integrating cats and chickens.......I start with little kitten and BIG CHICKEN. My chickens are used to cats so they don't fluster when cats approach (Semi-feral cat is a great mouser but ignores birds now)

Make sure that the cat is well fed before you start as otherwise it may want to hunt for food.....and that may be your chickens. I used a big Brahma roo. this time for the first introduction to the kitten.This roo is a character who will just ignore cats and isn't past giving them a quick peck if they start to take liberties. I kept them together for about ten minutes on this first occasion. Since then I have bought in a number of fully grown hens whilst watching over them. After about a week of this, I took the kitten to the agricultural shed where she met some 8 week old chicks without incident. I have since safely left her for over an hour in the shed unsupervised as she is already used to meeting chickens everywhere.

My method is basically get animals very used to each other by degrees and pull them away if there is any sign of aggression. I do accept, though, that there are some rogue animals who cannot be trained at all, but most are trainable.

The kitten initially spat at and pounced on my dog, too. They were asleep together side by side on a bale of straw yesterday.

Essentially I have to ensure everybody gets along as there are cats, dogs, sheep and birds roaming about in most areas.

I used to have a billy goat, ..... he was TOTALLY untrainable.....I still have the scars to prove it.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    It doesn't have any sort of power setting, just on and off. On the coop wiring it runs 14.4K volts. The non NN chickens have hit the wire now and then with no problems but they don't have a big bare neck. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by