Naked Neck/Turken Thread

No, there are a couple more hatched this year. Fibromelanotic (black/charcoal skin) is a pet project of mine.
I have some eggs in the bator, (someone else's bator who is kind enough to hatch for me) she is candling them in the next few days at the 10 day mark. They are black skinned as well as potentially carrying the scaleless gene. There are only 8 eggs, can't say I fully understand the genetics but there is potential for some very naked chickies, but all that hatch will be dark skinned.

I have some eggs in the bator, (someone else's bator who is kind enough to hatch for me) she is candling them in the next few days at the 10 day mark.  They are black skinned as well as potentially carrying the scaleless gene.  There are only 8 eggs, can't say I fully understand the genetics but there is potential for some very naked chickies, but all that hatch will be dark skinned.
What's the scaleless gene?

I actually have no clue what I would do w/ a naked chicken, it gets to cold in the winter for one to live outside. But w/ just 8 eggs it is doubtful anyway.

I actually have no clue what I would do w/ a naked chicken, it gets to cold in the winter for one to live outside.  But w/ just 8 eggs it is doubtful anyway.
I'm in the mountains of So. Cal. We get temps. below freezing, snow and with the wind chill factor can get down to about 18 degrees....I only set 5 eggs.

Last edited:
Kassaundra not all of southern california is warm during the winter. Only the costal area around San Diego. Any place inland with an elevation above 1000 feet gets cold. Wind is also a problem causing the cold dry air to feel much worse. Plus a lot of California has mountains. Even Los Angeles gets "chilly" and many of the chicken folks on here do not live in either LA or SD.

Last edited:
No, there are a couple more hatched this year. Fibromelanotic (black/charcoal skin) is a pet project of mine.
Would like to see pics. I want to breed my dark skinned naked neck pullet to one of my naked neck roosters that I got from cackle.Would like to breed this into my naked necks. But she being feather legged is the only thing I want to breed away from.

Georgia Boy, I went back some posts and looked at your NNs. You have some fine looking birds to work with. All the regulars that post pictures have beautiful NNs. Kassaundra's new hatches should be wonderfully interesting. Dipsy has Fm birds. She has been working on the gene for a long time but she's modest about it. I know there are others that post here that have them too. I'll try to get pictures but I don't get much cooperation.

Back
Top Bottom