Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I say go for it. I really like the looks of crested naked necks.
thumbsup.gif

That is where I am heading too, large crested NN that lay green eggs, and if I can get a tuft or rumpless thrown in the mix just for good measure all the better.

Rumpless crested naked neck,now that would be unusual.What about rumpless,crested ,frizzled naked neck?
I don't currently have anything frizzled, but if I come across something sure. My goal is a chicken that is practical (as in big enough to eat and lays well doesn't have to lay super duper well, just well) and looks wise is worthy of being in a Dr. Seuss book so of course would need to lay green eggs. I'm callling them "Seussers".

Before any hard core breeders have a brain aneurism I know it's not a breed. They are my chickens I pay for their food and shelter and they are to make me happy.

I don't currently have anything frizzled, but if I come across something sure. My goal is a chicken that is practical (as in big enough to eat and lays well doesn't have to lay super duper well, just well) and looks wise is worthy of being in a Dr. Seuss book so of course would need to lay green eggs. I'm callling them "Seussers".

Before any hard core breeders have a brain aneurism I know it's not a breed. They are my chickens I pay for their food and shelter and they are to make me happy.
About the last part of your reply. I agree with you 100 percent. My chickens are a hobby that have enjoyed for 38 years and like you I buy the feed and feed and shelter them and what I breed for in my chickens is to make me happy. A lot of days I go sit at the chicken yard to unwind if I had a bad day.

I don't currently have anything frizzled, but if I come across something sure.  My goal is a chicken that is practical (as in big enough to eat and lays well doesn't have to lay super duper well, just well) and looks wise is worthy of being in a Dr. Seuss book so of course would need to lay green eggs.  I'm callling them "Seussers".

Before any hard core breeders have a brain aneurism I know it's not a breed.  They are my chickens I pay for their food and shelter and they are to make me happy.
Put me on the waiting list for some of those Seussers!

I've never bred chickens before so I'm hoping we come out with some nice chicks. Sounds like you all know what you are doing.
thumbsup.gif

The Seussers sound nice

lau.gif
clap.gif

I had to laugh! I actually had a hard core breeder tell almost exactly what you said, because I was worried about accepting eggs for free from someone and then breeding a NN to the offspring. I didn't want to upset any breeders. He said, "you are the one paying for the feed, and you have them to make yourself happy, not them!"

I've never bred chickens before so I'm hoping we come out with some nice chicks. Sounds like you all know what you are doing.
thumbsup.gif

The Seussers sound nice
Me too, this is my first, I've only had chickens for about 2 years. This year I've hatched out and got several breeds of baby chicks that I want to use as my foundation. I figure it will take several generations to even get a good start on them, but I needed a culling goal for when I start hatching the eggs out. I knew from the first chicken I ever got I wouldn't want one breed that all the chickens looked alike, that is why I started with EE, then found out about NN's and fell in love w/ the look as well as the practicality in our horrible summers.

KKH, sure thing.

Hatched the first chick from the pen set up with a black NN green-egger hen, a blue NN green-egger hen, and a splash fibromelanotic frizzle NN green-egger hen with a white crested black Polish rooster (LF) this morning.
It's a blue chick with a naked neck, but doesn't look like it inherited a crest.
edit: now that it has dried, looks like it might have a small crest.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyones new chicks!

Last edited:
I have to say that the first time I laid my eyes on one of these I was pretty shocked! I feed my dogs raw and a man gave me 25 hens that had sadly met their demise via Dog attack. I pulled that naked necked hen out and immediately thought it must have been sick or something!

I googled it later and was relieved to find out that its normal :) They are very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom